What's new

Ghost Rider...can you believe this? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Isn't Febuary considered a dumping ground for stinker movies? Not a good sign, although I have to admit, I wasn't exactly loosing sleep waiting to see this movie.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not like January is. There's a school vacation week in February for many areas and at least a holiday weekend for President's Day in the U.S. The big Christmas releases are sort of treading water until after the Oscars, so there's a decent audience to be had. It's generally a better time to release a G/PG-rated family feature than something like Ghost Rider, though.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Spring and Fall are the "whatever" movie months; anything the studios are serious about they release in Summer or during the holidays (Nov / Dec).

So yeah, it looks like they think Ghost Rider will be a small draw.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
It's a move that doesn't make a lot of sense. The Director of the movie pops in once in a while to the GR board over at SuperHeroHype, and he said it was mostly because Sony has too many movies (with all of their sub companies) scheduled for this summer, and they can't handle it all. I'm willing to believe it, because I know originally this was scheduled for a mid fall release and Sony moved it up and planned huge marketing deals for it after watching a cut and loving it. I don't know about the date they've chosen, but moving it in general seems fine, more fallout from the MGM merger if anything. They're probably just having problems deciding how to market the film (which could be seen as a unique challenge) and that early year release date has practically become a staple for the lesser known Marvel titles.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I don't think that's been true for a while now. January and September still seem to be a bit of a dumping ground but all of the rest of the months have had significant high profile films released. Wasn't Hitch, which grossed 170+ million, released on President's Day this year?

Britton

Screenwriter
There was one year over a decade ago when Wizard Magazine released their issue that had the winners from their annual Halloween costume contest. That year's winner dressed up as Ghost Rider and the crazy SOB actually set his head on fire!!! The caption under the picture read DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!! I wish I still had that issue so I could scan a picture for you all because it looked awesome. Much better than this CGI version I tell ya.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I must say that it looks better than any of the leaked/bogus pictures seen so far. I don't know how much popular support this film will garner, with the Superman, Spider-man and Xmen movies slated for next year as well. At least it goes first.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It would be prudent to keep in mind that this film isn't going to be released until February 2007. Passing judgement on Ghost Rider's effects work at this point in the game seems a bit absurd.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
Other than riding around with his head on fire, what powers does Ghost Rider actually have?

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
God haven't read GR for years. He was a demon from hell being punished by Mephisto I think (Marvels version of a kind of Satan). He's a Vengeance Demon. He'd basically just grab evil doers and make them relive all their bad deeds in one shot. His bike ran anywher (up buildings, on water, etc)He controled fire and his chains I think. Wow this has been a while since I thought of those. I still have all the comics stashed in boxes. I should take a peak before the movie comes out.

This will have to be one effect ladden film to do GR justice. I can't believe they made a movie of this. One of my favorite comics but not a typical big Marvel title. 120 million??? At least they spent the cash. Hopefully it's better than The Punisher.

There was a new version of the comic that came out when Marvel retooled everything. I liked that one a lot but the original was a favorite.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I was surprised to see that they are still doing some reshoots of this movie. They are casting out in Vancouver for a role. Too bad I am not out there yet! :)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Ghost Rider was somewhat more about his demonic and cool look than his super/anti-hero abilty. I mean, come on! His head is a flaming skull, and his bike has fire for wheels. Pretty good imagery.

But his powers were mostly like what you'd see in a horror film; takes staggering amounts of damage without dropping. His bike is magical and can do things like defy gravity and such. And his chain is very much like what Spawn's cape later became; animate and deadly.

So if you stand back and summarize, Ghost Rider is a lot like The Crow. Punishing the wicked with their own medicine.

Tom Keels

Stunt Coordinator
Ghost Rider's claim to fame is his "Pennant Stare" which he uses againt bad guys. He looks them in the eye and all the bad things they have done in their life happens to them in their mind all at once. Basically he fries their mind with horrible images.

GR is one of my favorite all time anti-heros. He is what a supernatural Punisher would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks