What's new

Ghost of Tsushima (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is a truly wonderful game. It draws you in the action very quickly and doesn't look back. The graphics, and music are near perfect, and the control is intuitive, and easy (as is the game so far about three hours in), and hassle free. Also the story is just downright epic. It feels like playing one of the best samurai movies ever made--so cinematic-- Playing as Samurai lord Sakai, I feel both humble, and heroic. I am in the game every time I play the game.

This is my game of the year so far. I haven't played a game this great in the six years of owning the PS4!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
This is a truly wonderful game. It draws you in the action very quickly and doesn't look back. The graphics, and music are near perfect, and the control is intuitive, and easy (as is the game so far about three hours in), and hassle free. Also the story is just downright epic. It feels like playing one of the best samurai movies ever made--so cinematic-- Playing as Samurai lord Sakai, I feel both humble, and heroic. I am in the game every time I play the game.

This is my game of the year so far. I haven't played a game this great in the six years of owning the PS4!
My nephew told me to check this one out but It looked so generic to me like a million other Samurai games. Is there a demo available?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My nephew told me to check this one out but It looked so generic to me like a million other Samurai games. Is there a demo available?

No demo.

I was jaded by the feudal Japan/Samurai genre, as I have been there/done that so many times before. Yet this feels different than the rest. Action on top of action, and great (cinematic) story.
Really satisfying in every aspect to me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
This is on my "wait for it to be $20 then play it on PS5" list, which is sort of where The Order was in my mind until I just never bothered to even get that for even $5.

It looks graphically amazing and certainly more interesting than Days Gone, but I don't have the time for an open world game with a bunch of collectibles right now.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I like that Sucker Punch included an option for Japanese audio with English subtitles for a more authentic Japanese experience, however there is a ton of dialogue so I switched to the English audio as to not miss much more words being spoken. Maybe Japanese in my second playthrough.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This is on my "wait for it to be $20 then play it on PS5" list, which is sort of where The Order was in my mind until I just never bothered to even get that for even $5.

Pretty much how I feel about every game. If I'm not interested at launch, I never buy it for cheaper a year (or less) later. A huge flaw on my part, I would save a ton of money If I just wait. But there is something exciting when playing a newly released game.
Much like seeing a new movie on day of release (man I so miss the Summer blockbusters this year!).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Having a huge backlog of PS+ games has made it very easy to put off purchasing just about anything this year. I look forward to all the fun I'll have playing these cheap PS4 games like Jedi Fallen Order, Control, FF7 Remake, TLoU2, and Ghost of Tsushima on my shiny new PS5 over the holidays.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Having a huge backlog of PS+ games has made it very easy to put off purchasing just about anything this year. I look forward to all the fun I'll have playing these cheap PS4 games like Jedi Fallen Order, Control, FF7 Remake, TLoU2, and Ghost of Tsushima on my shiny new PS5 over the holidays.

So few games "grab" me anymore. Honestly it is like 1 in 10. The last 4 games I purchased (before GOT) fell completely flat for me. Huge waste of money, and time (all the pick up, and play time before I realize the game just isn't my thing)

I don't think I'm doing next gen, and if I do it will likely be for one game only (new Elder Scrolls), but I'm not even sure about that. I'll see how I feel about it when the time comes.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Being the last great PS4 exclusive, and judging by amazing sales #'s this is pushing, I thought there would be a little more chatter about this one. The game just gets better the longer I play.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
WOW! Being the last great PS4 exclusive, and judging by amazing sales #'s this is pushing, I thought there would be a little more chatter about this one. The game just gets better the longer I play.
I’ve heard mixed reviews on it from my friends. Especially the poor lip syncing. I’ll wait till it hits $9.99 or so.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The most beautiful game on the PS4.
Sometimes I just get lost of my mission, and wander aimlessly through the picturesque scenery.

I'm glad games this great are rewarded with record breaking sales #'s:

"Sony is celebrating another successful PS4 exclusive launch, this time lauding the early sales success of Sucker Punch's Ghost of Tsushima. The first game from Sucker Punch in six years managed to make a big impact, and not just because of its impressive photo mode. The new open-world action game has sold over 2.4 million copies within the first three days of launch.

This makes it Sony's new fastest-selling original IP, with the previous record belonging to Horizon Zero Dawn. It's a poignant achievement, as this might be the last truly enormous PS4 exclusive, with the PS5 on the horizon."

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Critic score of 83 with a user score of 9.3.

It looks like those review bombs were removed, and it increased the score a great deal.

Now why couldn't they do for TLOU2 weed out the troll reviews?
One of the most harmful aspects of gaming is the toxic reviews based on pathetic dogmatic viewpoints.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This isn't the most technically accomplished game on the PS4, but if you have HDR and a 4K display, it's probably the most beautiful.

Lip sync isn't a problem if you have English dialogue turned on. But it's unfortunate they didn't have the resources to synchronize the faces for Japanese dialogue.

Ghost of Tsushima is not a groundbreaking game. It's a throwback to the 360-era of big-world collect-a-thons, for sure. But there's a feeling of slow serenity in its storytelling that I'm digging a lot. Even the relatively simple combat is fun. I think it's designed to be enjoyed in short play sessions, rather than in big marathon chunks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I will eventually get this and enjoy it, but the fact that every review/impression emphasizes that it's just an open-world collect-a-thon shows why that style of game is awful. It's why I stopped playing Assassin's Creed games years ago. Giving players a 30-hour story that would be better at 10-15 hours plus another 20-30 hours of collecting random items just to pad out the game and justify the massive expense of creating a huge detailed world is a sad byproduct of AAA game development. I'd rather get a smaller, tighter, cheaper-made game with less fluff and padding.

But if that stuff is also entirely optional (or even mostly optional) or drives the player to seek out really beautiful/interesting things (like Breath of the Wild and Horizon did) then I consider it a good thing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This isn't the most technically accomplished game on the PS4, but if you have HDR and a 4K display, it's probably the most beautiful.

Lip sync isn't a problem if you have English dialogue turned on. But it's unfortunate they didn't have the resources to synchronize the faces for Japanese dialogue.

Ghost of Tsushima is not a groundbreaking game. It's a throwback to the 360-era of big-world collect-a-thons, for sure. But there's a feeling of slow serenity in its storytelling that I'm digging a lot. Even the relatively simple combat is fun. I think it's designed to be enjoyed in short play sessions, rather than in big marathon chunks.

Right on about about the lip synch. It is an issue with Japanese audio, but I switched to English early on. The subtitles were too much to read while playing the game. I'm great reading subtitles in foreign films, but that many while in the midst of an action game. You'd have to be Data fro Star Trek to take it all in.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I will eventually get this and enjoy it, but the fact that every review/impression emphasizes that it's just an open-world collect-a-thon shows why that style of game is awful. It's why I stopped playing Assassin's Creed games years ago. Giving players a 30-hour story that would be better at 10-15 hours plus another 20-30 hours of collecting random items just to pad out the game and justify the massive expense of creating a huge detailed world is a sad byproduct of AAA game development.

I agree wholeheartedly.
RPG's are also getting soooo padded these days. Octopath Traveler could be a perfect game....if it wasn't so damn long. I forgot the origin of my main character I've played the game so long.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm enjoying this game a lot. While I agree that it is a collectathon, it is a collectathon with gorgeous scenery and a very atmospheric world. A big part of what makes that collecting fun is exploring and finding a new waterfall or a picturesque view. Certainly a much more thoughtful and considered approach than Assassin's Creed games

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm enjoying this game a lot. While I agree that it is a collectathon, it is a collectathon with gorgeous scenery and a very atmospheric world. A big part of what makes that collecting fun is exploring and finding a new waterfall or a picturesque view. Certainly a much more thoughtful and considered approach than Assassin's Creed games

The graphical beauty is a huge factor in the success of this game I think. The gameplay is smooth, but without the tranquil surroundings it wouldn't be near the same. Quite an experience. Games like this I would have no problem paying double the MSRP...well I probably will anyway once the DLC arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks