Ghost in the Shell Sonic edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chad Ferguson, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

I just bought the first Volume in the Stand Alone Series and when I looked on the net on amazon I saw this listed as an Cotober 24th release? Anyone know about this? Also, Anchor Bay is releasing it.
    Thanks

2. Ryan Petrich

Ryan Petrich Agent

Interesting question Chad! Seeing as it is Ghost in the Shell's 10th Anniversary you would think that some special edition is lined up. :b Unfortunately I don't have any useful info for you.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith

It is! According to Bandai Entertainment's Web site, Manga will release a new Special Edition of the theatrical movie on December 7.

This thread's title is somewhat appropriate since the announcement says that it will have enhanced audio/visual and language options. I really hope that the Japanese language track is 5.1.

Here is the link to the announcement:

http://www.bandai-ent.com/news/pr.cfm?id=86

It also says a DVD release of GitS2 will follow its theatrical release.

I apologize if this was mentioned in the Anime Discussion forum but I don't read it and it is now way too lengthy to skim through it.

5. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    The release date for the Special Edition of the first movie is now January 11, according to several retailers.

There are no specs listed yet, like whether it will finally have a Japanese 5.1 track. I don't like the way some retailers list (or omit) their specs.

Retail price is $35.

Update: It will have an upgraded Japanese DD/DTS 6.1 track! Yes!

6. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    This is not quite a continuation of the first post but seeing as it changed into talk about the SE of the movie, I'll use this thread since it could be considered the "Sonic" edition.

I received the Special Edition of the movie and have a few observations to make:

1. The Japanese language track is now available in DD5.1EX and DTS6.1. It's not overly dynamic but it is much better than the 2.0 track on the original release. The music benefits the most from the surround sound.

2. The box says it's a newly remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer. The original already looked really good and the SE is just a slight improvement in the clarity and color.

3. The end credits is STILL only the English version. The cast list is the English language cast with none of the Japanese voice actors' names listed. It should have been like Princess Mononoke: If you choose Japanese, you get the Japanese credits (or list the Japanese actors/crew in English). If you choose English, you get the English credits.

4. The 30-minute Making Of documentary on the original is carried over to this version. The other extras are not that extensive: Production Report, Digital Works, Character Dossiers, Creator Bio, Director Bio, Trailers, and Manga/Bandai stuff. But they are all on Disc 2.

5. The packaging is nice. Glossy silver digipak (clean your fingers!) housed in a clear plastic slipcover. Comes with a dual-sided foldout poster promoting the Special Edition, a GitS:SE postcard, and a Manga Video Merchandise booklet.

7. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Keith, thanks for your thoughts on this disc. I have yet to see one review online. Is there any way for you to link or post a few screenshot comparisons? I figured the sound would definitely be an improvement on this release, but I would feel a lot better shelling out cash for it if there is a large enough picture quality increase as well.

8. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    I hope these are okay. I tried to pick a scene taking place in the daytime. The first image is from the original version. The second image from the Special Edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know how long these images will be up. I got these from my DVD-ROM; I watch DVDs on my progressive scan DVD with 16x9 TV so I hope these are okay. In fact, looking at these images, I can see where the pros and cons can go either way for each image... Look at the lower left section. You can see more detail in the building's shadow.

Finally, the images are about a second off. Sorry.

9. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

Thanks a bunch for doing that. Those are fantastic screengrabs. The pics look near identical to my eyes, which is a shame as I was really gunning for Mangle to put some work into picture restoration/clean-up/whatever. I'll probably still get the SE as the Japanese 2.0 track on the original disc is pretty muddled and I'm a sucker for cool packaging.

edit-images are now showing. thanks for changing that.

10. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    You're welcome, Matt.

I put up two more images:

[​IMG] Original

[​IMG] Special Edition

11. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Presumably your webspace does not allow hotlinking.
    Incidentally, the American LaserDisc Special Edition has both soundtracks all through the film, including end credits, although only the English sequence is presented. Now, the Japanese Memorial Box is supposed to be bilingual and has all kinds of special features [the American has only the making-of, with dual-audio in parts, subtitles in others, and Japanese text replaced by English], but the movie isn't high on my list of double-dip candidates.

12. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    I just bought this, and after comparing this release to the old one, it appears to be the exact same transfer. Very disappointing, considering that the original was a very early disc. The transfer, like on the original disc, looks very blurry and has what seems to be compression artifacts. A good example would be to check out the guy they are fighting with the red shirt in chapter 4. Same scene as Kieth's images. Look for a close up. I mean, Akira is an older movie, and that DVD blows this one away.

What I can't understand is why they put some many freaking audio options on this disc. There are 6 languages in all. English, Japanese, Spanish, French, German, and Italian. Of the English tracks, there is a dts and dolby 5.1. Same for the Japanese. So for everyone doing the math, that's 8 audio tracks taking up a huge amount of space!

Kind of a wasted release for me. Does anyone have the region 2 version? Its supposed to have english subtitles. I'm curious if the transfer is any better.

13. Ben_@

Ben_@ Stunt Coordinator

No double dip for me. Thanks for posting those pics, otherwise i would've been suckered into it. I really was hoping that they would do this film justice. Its such a gorgeous movie.

14. Keith I

Keith I FoS

Keith
    For those of you with DD/DTS 5.1 setups, the upgrade is worth it for the new Japanese audio tracks. And only if you wanted the original language audio tracks in surround sound.

15. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Ditto. The first release is pretty nice, and the fact this release visually is no improvement means I'll probably skip this SE.

Of the images posted, in the first set the orig. looks a tad sharper and in the second set, the new SE looks a tad sharper. Seems like a wash.

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Has anyone compared the R3 NTSC Korean 2-disc set to this new R1 SE?

I ran through DVDBeaver's comparison review but was thoroughly confused. They reccommend the R3 disc for the visuals but to my eyes, the screen grabs posted looked terrible in comparison to the new R1 SE.

From all reviews I've read of the R1 set though, the video quality does not live up to standards at all and is highly criticized. In fact, DVDTown gave it a rating of 5 out of 10 I believe which is pretty off-putting to me.

I'm really strung between the R3 Koran 2-disc set and this R1 2-disc set but Im having a ton of difficulty digging up reviews of the R3 release or finding any comparissons.

As far as extras, the R3 disc has the same stuff as the R1 and more which is a plus, but I have a feeling there's no English audio or subtitle options for the second disc.

That's not a huge concern since I can always replace disc 2 with the extras disc from the R1 set... but I'm concerned with the movie itself!

I want to know which is the definbitive version of this film on DVD and offers the best visuals and audio.

Has anyone seen the R3 Bandai S.E. and could compare it to the R1 release?

Thanks!

17. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Okay, looking over DVDBeaver's screen captions I actually do see more detail and better quality in the R3 set.

It seems the R1 SE has just been color-corrected with really strong contrast and vibrant saturation that looks a little off.

I'll probably be ordering the R3 set but I just want to confirm with everyone that it's definitely the way to go.

Also, I want to know about the audio and subtitles.

How are the English subs on the Korean set and are they dubtitles or accurate translations and are they clear and easy to follow or distracting ion the way of visuals? Also can anyone tell me if they are displayed in white or yellow text?

As for the audio options, is the R1 dvd significantly better in this department?

I'm really only interested in the original Japanese soundtrack and could care less about all these English DTS and other options.

Is the R3 track and poor sounding audio track or is it decent and just below the R1 in terms of quality? What's lacking in the R3 mix that it doesn't rate as high as the US audio?

Thanks in advance, I really want to buy this movie and want to make sure I end up with the best DVD available!

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Any help guys?

19. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

If you want the best DVD available, why not buy the Japanese edition? Sure, it won't be cheap, but it will have a superior picture and sound quality [Manga's LDs, and I think also their DVDs, seem to have been made from a projection print -- look for the reel change marks]. I am a little worried about the English subtitles, though, only because the Japanese LD is reported to have Closed Captions taken from the dub script whereas the CC on Manga's disc is [astonishingly] from a true subtitle script. Maybe somebody can confirm that detail for you?

20. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Chris, did you mean Japanese or Korean??

The Bandai edition is R3.

I think I'm gonna go for that one but I just wanted to get some feedback on the audio -Japanese Dolby 2.0 track, as it didn't rate as highly as the R1 issue. I just wanted to know if it was slightly less encompassing or an all-out poor and flat sounding mix?

I also wanted to get some confirmations on the subtitles as well... I guess I'll try plugging a search through DVD-Basen.

Thanks.