Ghost in the Shell (2017) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm just surprised why they are showing too much

I've never seen or read anything related to any version in any medium of Ghost In The Shell before. I imagine the studio is thinking two things. The first is that anyone that's a fan of the original versions will be likely to see the movie. The second is that anyone who's not a fan has had ample opportunities to be exposed to that property and didn't do so, so the studio is probably going out of its way to throw out any and every concept used in the story that might attract a non-anime audience.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Other than some diehard Anime fans, does this really have the appeal for the general masses to make any kind of money, even with it's star?

My thoughts are it falls pretty flat and will be quick to DVD/Blu.
Sorta what you said about Arrival. And you know how THAT prediction turned out. :P

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
She's nice eye candy, but I don't generally pay good money just to see a hottie on the big screen., especially in a (high) potentially stinker of a movie. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Except the film isn't stinker unless you've seen it which you haven't so your opinion is being formed by others.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I will be waiting to watch this as a rental or, more than likely, as a loaner from the library. I do have a problem with the casting of the lead role. I was willing to give it a chance early on, but as more marketing materials came out, the less motivated I became to do so. Reading a couple reviews yesterday didn't help matters, so I'll be watching this thread to see how much of a discrepancy there is between critical and audience opinion (like with Netflix's Iron Fist).

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I will be waiting to watch this as a rental or, more than likely, as a loaner from the library. I do have a problem with the casting of the lead role. I was willing to give it a chance early on, but as more marketing materials came out, the less motivated I became to do so. Reading a couple reviews yesterday didn't help matters, so I'll be watching this thread to see how much of a discrepancy there is between critical and audience opinion.
Since I never viewed the original, casting isn't an issue with me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Being a fan of the anime doesn't help. I would be curious to see how many feel as I do, but are not fans of the anime or the printed source material, and thus object with slightly fewer personal stakes in the issue.

Last edited:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Like I pointed out earlier, this is one of those movies that appeals to a much smaller niche of moviegoers. Odds are the general public has never watched Ghost in the Shell and probably has never HEARD of it. So it's already sitting on one strike possibly 2. The only reason they opted for Miss Johansson was solely to hope they can attract the general masses. Had it been some no name, this thing would be a guaranteed bomb. With her, they have a smidgen of hope that it can break even (or perfects make a nice profit) at the box office.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Some suit thought it was a guaranteed cash cow with her in it at one point I'm sure and ignored the fact that the general public probably couldn't really care less about the actual subject matter. They just saw dollar signs with her attached as usual.

Who knows anymore, it may make $300 MILLION in a week for all we know.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Being a fan of the anime doesn't help. I would be curious to see how many feel as I do, but are not fans of the anime or the printed source material, and thus object with slightly fewer personal stakes in the issue.
I saw Ghost In The Shell once in the late 90's but I literally do not remember a thing about it. I will say that the movie's visuals look great and piqued my interest so I MAY check it out.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. Enjoyed it a lot. Great visuals, great immersive 3D and a surprisingly deep touching story.

Scarlet was well suited (no pun intended) for this role. Reminded me a lot of Blade Runner of course and The Matrix. Haven't seen the original in 20 years or so. Recently bought the blu so will watch it soon.

So in a nutshell Lots of cool 3D action with a good story and I was entertained from beginning to end.

⭐⭐⭐️ Out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 3D. Enjoyed it a lot. Great visuals, great immersive 3D and a surprisingly deep touching story.

Scarlet was well suited (no pun intended) for this role. Reminded me a lot of Blade Runner of course and The Matrix. Haven't seen the original in 20 years or so. Recently bought the blu so will watch it soon.

So in a nutshell Lots of cool 3D action with a good story and I was entertained from beginning to end.

⭐⭐⭐️ Out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Yeah, I'll be checking it out on Tuesday.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I saw GITS in what they call "IMAX" 3D today and was pleasantly surprised. I am a big fan of the original movie, which I first saw on DVD in the 1990s. It was one of the first DVDs to really show off the potential of that format and have fond memories of it not only for that reason but because it's a great story as well.

This version isn't as good, but it's also not nearly as bad as the RT score might lead you to believe. I found it quite watchable as a story and as a popcorn ride. Maybe not quite as enthusiastic about it as Tino found it, but definitely a solid futuristic action film worth seeing on the big screen.

606/1000

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I recently bought the original on blu; Ghost and Akira are pretty cheap these days. I want to rematch them both. I'll wait for Ghost on blu since I'm not getting to the theater much lately.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Early box office analysis from Deadline:

Paramount/DreamWorks/Reliance’s Ghost in the Shell is looking at $8M-$8.5M for today, including last night’s $1.8M. This puts the Scarlett Johansson film at a $23M three-day. That number in regards to the pic’s $110M production cost before P&A, isn’t going to cut it in regards to stateside success, but the pic has all the eye candy for an overseas audience. Lucy, even though it crossed $120M at the domestic B.O., accumulated 72% of its global take ($463.4M) overseas, and it’s conceivable that Paramount — after it saved xXx: Return of Xander Cage‘s hide with a $301M foreign take to its $44.9M domestic cume — will practice the same M.O. in ensuring that Ghost in the Shell is an overseas destination.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Early box office analysis from Deadline:

Paramount/DreamWorks/Reliance’s Ghost in the Shell is looking at $8M-$8.5M for today, including last night’s $1.8M. This puts the Scarlett Johansson film at a $23M three-day. That number in regards to the pic’s $110M production cost before P&A, isn’t going to cut it in regards to stateside success, but the pic has all the eye candy for an overseas audience. Lucy, even though it crossed $120M at the domestic B.O., accumulated 72% of its global take ($463.4M) overseas, and it’s conceivable that Paramount — after it saved xXx: Return of Xander Cage‘s hide with a $301M foreign take to its $44.9M domestic cume — will practice the same M.O. in ensuring that Ghost in the Shell is an overseas destination.
Without a doubt, Ghost in the Shell will do well overseas, particularly, in Asia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks