What's new

Ghost in the Shell 2 replacement program launched (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
I never got the email, and I don't remember filling it out anywhere. Hope the disc shows up soon, mailed it a few weeks ago.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Got mine yesterday as well. The subtitles don't look much smaller and they're still kind of high on the picture. In any event, it's just nice to get rid of the CC. Kudos to Dreamworks/Go Fish. :emoji_thumbsup:

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to know approximately how long it takes to recieve the replacement DVD from the moment someone signs up for the mailer until the corrected disc is actually in that person's possesion?

I signed up for the mailer but, it still has not arrived yet.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Took me exactly one month. 2 weeks to get the mailer after requesting it, and then 2 weeks to get the replacement DVD back.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I held off buying this disk in the hopes that the corrected DVDs would go into "circulation." Either this movie doesn't move that many units (possible) or the retailers and company don't really care that there are incorrectly subtitled discs. Notice, they didn't recall or anything, they're just going to let people realize the problem themselves. Will most people know to look at Go Fish's website? probably not. I hope the retailers have also been notified of this issue.

edit: I bought the DVD online, so i couldn't check if it had the "V4" on the spine.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Has the Closed Captioning been removed altogether? The Digital Bits got some heat from CC supporters for misunderstanding comments made at that time. They thought TDB wanted the CC removed rather than the English subtitles added on. If the CC text has been removed then Dreamworks/Go Fish will get their own heat. I haven't gotten mine yet to verify.
-

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
At least there are TWO version out now. For those who'd rather have CC, they just have to make sure they don't buy the V4 version. So it's still a win-win situation. However, without general knowledge of this issue, people will just buy whatever they put in their hands.
-

I picked up a used copy from HWV last week and figured it'd be one of the original discs with pooched captions and was correct. Received the mailer today.

Also found my Back to the Future mailer!:b Are they still doing those trades? I got mine back when it initially shipped. Thanks!

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
apparently many people are finding copies at best buy and target, but the bad news is that while the font size has been fixed, some copies still have the fucked up closed captioning.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
I got my replacement last night. Much better.

Man, I'd forgotten how miserable Batou is in this movie. I'm so used to the cheerful, goofy Batou from SAC that this is jarring.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Sounds like Best Buy/Target got a bad batch. Or something. The replacements that were sent in the mail are definitely fixed.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So the new "V4" version has the CC removed completely? Sigh. Well, as Keith said, at least there are two versions out there, at least for now. But when the originals are all bought up there will be none with CC.

I don't mean to sound like whiner who's never satisfied, and once I find a "V4" version and buy it, I will be happy as a clam, but it's kind of surprising that they would actually take the CC stream off, instead of just adding the regular subtitle stream. Surely it can't be a space issue.

Sorry; I'm not really complaining. They did address the situation, but it's just kind of weird. Why wouldn't they just let both streams be on the same disc?

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Bryan,

Somebody on another forum (I think it was at AoD) tested the V4 disc with a CC-TV setup, and it showed Closed Captions correctly. If you don't have your tv set up for them, you don't get them at all.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I received my replacement today (1.5 weeks instead of the 2-3 weeks) and checked it out. There is no option for both standard English subtitles or Closed Captioning. You get only English subtitles.

However, as Matt said, when you set up your TV to show closed captioning when it's on mute (at least my TV is like that), the CC text does appear although in its standard black box and courier font.

Thank You, Dreamworks and Go Fish!

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I hate going through the hastle of exchange programs to correct discs that should have been done right the first time. So I was waiting for the corrected discs to appear on store shelves.

I was in Bestbuy today and saw what I thought was the corrected disc and picked it up. On the top of the case the label you have to peel off to open the dvd case said GITS 2 V4. I assumed that was the marking letting you know this was the fixed version. So I opened it up and popped it in, but was severely dissappointed to see it had the subtitle problem.

I just thought I would relate my experience as a warning to anyone like me that was waiting to pick this up to be careful.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Yeah, this has happened to quite a few people (see the DVDTalk thread about this issue). The V4 sold in stores is -not- the corrected disc that people are getting through the replacement program.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
You would think that they could manage not to screw up replacement copies.

Dreamworks should not be allowed to touch another anime release. GITS 2 was the biggest anime release for last year and they manage to screw up a basic thing like the subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks