What's new

Ghost images overlay when I watch DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jan Nielsen

Auditioning
I have a little problem that annoys me quite a bit.

Say I am watching the Discovery Channel and decide I want to watch something on the DVD. When I turn on the DVD (DVD is connected via scart #1 to my TV) I can still see the Discovery Channel sort of like a ghost image overlayed the DVD movie.
It is not Discovery channel in itself. I have of course tried to turn on the DVD while watching any other channel... same result. The channel that I am watching will be overlayed the DVD :frowning:

What could be the problem?

This problem started when I got myself a rather expensive 16:9 32" TV from Philips. On my old and crappy 21" Samsung 4:3 screen I never had this problem. Also... just in general I think the picture quality from the DVD is far far from being crisp, clear and steady as I remember it from my old Samsung TV. Not exactly what I had expected from the Philips TV.

Anybody have any ideas how to solve this?

John S

Senior HTF Member
How long does it last?

If the tv set is turned off and then back on does it go away?

Sounds like the brightness may be being driven way to hard perhaps??? (grasping at straws with this comment though)

I am recieving my Philips as early as tomorrow, so I will watch for this on mine as well.

Jan Nielsen

Auditioning
It does not go away. As most programs here are subtitled I can see the subtitles showly sailing across the screen without end. Turning the TV off and back on doesn't help.

The only way I can make it go away is to swap the TV to channel that has no program on it. The TV then "mutes" and gives a completely blue screen. If I then switch back to the DVD channel it is gone. But I am quite sure it is not supposed to be this way :)

I haven't done anything to the brightness so I am pretty sure it is not turned way up.

I was wondering if it was the scart cable that was too bad?

John S

Senior HTF Member
You haven't done anything with the bightness?? You can be assured the brightness and many other settings are way off....

Get a video calibration disk, or even use one that is included in many newer DVD's, the THX optimizer, and at leats do a basi ccalibration on it. The new Indy Jones set has the THX optimizer on it.

You will be shocked at the difference.

Jan Nielsen

Auditioning
Hmm... I do not have the new Indy Jones movie... any other newer movies that has that THX optimizer? What about Star Wars 2 or something (seeing as it is a THX optimizer I'm just guessing :) )

If I have a disc with it I will give the calibration a shot.

But I still don't quite get it why a signal from my satbox on scart #2 gets overlayed on the DVD signal on scart #1. :frowning:

david stark

Second Unit
What scart cable are you using? I had a similar problem with a loewe tv, but it was the sound not the picture. When I was watching dvd's during any quiet scene I could hear BBC1 very faintly (the first channel tuned on my tv at the time), it would pause when I paused the DVD and resume when I played again.

I eventually found out it was interference getting in via the scart. The scart I was using was not the free one included with the dvd player, but one bought from an electronics store. I then replace this with a QED squart silver anniversary edition (can't remember the exact name of the cable, but it was a QED) which is over double the thickness of most scart's and has very good shielding and the problem vanished.

This scart is expensive so do try and find somewhere that you can take it back and get a refund if you don't like it.

Jan Nielsen

Auditioning
I will go to my local electronics-geeks-store today and see what they have in the department for "fancy scart cables". I was thinking something along the lines of interference as well.
The cables I use now are just the cheapest store bought ones... one of them being 5 meters long.
Maybe the new TV is more sensitive to electronic interference than the old crappy tv?

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is an odd issue..... I am not so sure calabration would actually solve the odd overlay issue, but I am sure it produce wonders for your DVD picture quality.

Going to a blue screen gets rid of it.. Do you get it from scratch without ever going to that input first?

It is just not a problem, I have ever encountered with any setup before and I have done a fair amount of tweeking on at least a dozen varried systems in the past year.

It does sound really strange for sure, I am sure I would be way puzzled as well with it.

Jan Nielsen

Auditioning
Interference it was. I bought a new high-end scart cable today. All individual wires are shielded with another shielding around all of it. It weighs a ton :)
When I plugged the DVD into the TV with this new cable there was a remarkable difference! All the overlay had disappeared. Only a few white lines where still not completely still.

So I pulled down Star Wars 2 from the shelves and ran the THX optimizer from there.
NOW... finally... I have a crisp clear picture without any interference :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Calibration is more important than ever for sure...

I will probably have to go buy better cables myself....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks