What's new

Ghost Image on The Matrix DVD (1 Viewer)

Adam J

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Watched matrix and I can detect a slight ghostly shadow to the right of any scenes that are close up face shots or show a long straight line across the screen. I get this effect when I am watching cable often, I figured it was just bad reception. Anyone know what causes that? Also, I watch Star Wars: Episode One and it is perfectly clean, so I think it is something with the DVD. Hope someone has an idea of what is causing that. Thanks.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Adam,
Maybe you could post a description and time code for some shots specifically where it is the most clear to you?
Initially, it sounds to me like a convergence problem on the set, but since you didn't mention if this is a RPTV or a direct view-- and you mentioned "Star Wars" looks Okay- It sounds less like a convergence issue.
It's actually funny you mention Star Wars- since this title is known to be plagued with what is called "edge enhancement" by some-- which causes ghosting around an image. Like the halo around this guy's hat:
[c]
11_c1.jpg
[/c]
If Star Wars looks good to you, then this Matrix ghosting issue your experiencing must be really bad. I don't think the Matrix has even been sited as having a serious problem with this edge enhancement issue Star Wars has-- so you should really see the problme much worse with SW.
You can check out this page about edge enhancement on SW, which should give you more of an idea what to look for:
http://home.t-online.de/home/bjoern....TPM/TPM_01.htm
Again, the issue with the matrix might not be this- so feel free to post some times for shots where you see it- and I'm sure someone here would be happy to take a look on their system.
-V

Adam J

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Vince,

That picture is exactly what I am seeing on the Matrix DVD. I didn't notice it until near the end when Neo fights Agent smith in the subway. Instead of being on top of his head like the star wars picture, it is to the right of his face on close ups.

It is very likely something to do with my PS2. It is not a very good DVD player it may explain why the Star Wars DVD with "edge enhancments" looks good and Matrix looks bad. Thanks for the information it is appreciated.

Adam J

Stunt Coordinator
I went home last night and turned down the contrast and brightness a bit and now I don't see the image.
The scene I saw it at was when Trinity is just about to tell Neo she loves him at the phone booth. There is a black background behind her and that is the only reason it became visible. Other than that the movie looks great, and now that I changed the settings a bit that part looks great too.
I have a 36" Sanyo picture tube tv. I had to look up RPTV, I didn't know what that was earlier or I would have answered you :)

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
It sounds like a calibration with the AVIA or VE DVD is in order. It will likely clear up 95% of stuff like that. Most TVs come out of the box with contrast and brightness turned up WAY too high.

Adam J

Stunt Coordinator
Where do I buy those? I asked the guy at Radio Shack and he looked at me like I was an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks