Ghost captured on camera phone?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin P, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Check out this picture on this site: http://www.castleofspirits.com/handphone.html

The caption reads: "This photo was taken at Eastwood City in Manila through a Nokia 7250, a phone with a camera. These two girls were out for the night and they wanted to have their picture taken. After asking somebody to take their picture, what they saw on the phone's screen shocked them. A ghostly being was beside the girl in right and it appeared to be holding her arm. FREAKY!"

The picture is too low-resolution to easily determine if it was faked, at least to my amateur eyes. I know there are both skeptics and believers on this site, so I was wondering what others think of this rather creepy looking photo.

I'm a believer, but if someone took a picture of me and turned out like that, I'd be creeped out. So, whatcha folks think? Fake? Real? Illusion?

2. Jason Pancake

Jason Pancake Stunt Coordinator

Don't know if it's a ghost or not but if I was a ghost I would totally be doing that to people's pictures!!

Jason

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I know it's fake, meaning there was no ghost there while the picture was taken. How do I know? Because ghosts don't exist. But it's a creepy picture. [​IMG]

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

6. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

You'd think the ghost would at least have the decency to put a shirt on for the pic! [​IMG]

7. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Multo nga yata! I grew up in Manila though I'm not sure where Eastwood City is. Lots of ghost stories to be told from over there, from a long stretch of a street called Balite Drive, to a whole province supposedly populated by evil human eating supernatural beings.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Let's see...low light, long-exposure...does the Nokia 7250 have a built-in flash?

I'd guess that there are actually 3 (real) people in that picture, but the 3rd person was distracted and swung his/her head around while the shutter was open. Probably a 1 second shutter, more than enough time to get the motion blur that would give you ghost like images.

On the other hand, the shape of the "ghost" looks almost identical to the girl on the right, like a double image, with the arm drawn in after the fact (it looks too smooth given the noise in the rest of the image).

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

On a side note...I have been interested in camera phones, but if this photo is at all indicative of the quality of snapshots produced by said devices, I'm sticking with dedicated devices.

10. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

After looking at some of the other photos in the site, it seems they should hold free photography classes for everyone who submitted pictures! And hit them on a head with a tripod!

Camera shake galore...bad exposures...terrible focusing (autofocus sucks at night). Dammit, learn to use a camera for deity's sake!

Look at this picture: http://www.castleofspirits.com/nightfigure.html

Gee, the guy took a photo at night with his handheld digital camera. The "figure" circled in the image is a frickin' tree trunk. Moron. I give him two swacks to the head with a 5 pound tripod.

*cough* [​IMG]

11. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Second Unit

Cool. The only thing the ghost forgot to do was wear the rainbow-colored afro wig.

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Nokia 7250

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Actually, I work for a cell phone company and we've been playing around with a Sony/Ericsson camera phone.

I've never looked closely at the pictures before but... there's something mysterious behind me in this photo. I can't quite make it out but, it's definitely intriguing:

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/skipjack3001/ghost.jpg

It seems cellular phone cameras are in tune with some sort of supernatural plane.

14. TylerN

TylerN Stunt Coordinator

Looks to me like the "ghost" is the refection of the photographer.. possibly the picture was taken through a window, on an angle?

15. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Why would the image of a ghost obey the optical laws of photo lenses, but not those of lenses in human eyes?
    In other words: if it was on a photo, why would no-one see it?

16. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

17. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I see dead people...

Oh come on! Someone had to say it! [​IMG]

18. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale

19. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

20. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I don't think the pic looks real, the ghost just looks to fake to me, it almost reminds me of something I'd see on Ghostbusters. Almost all the supposedly real ghost pics which I've seen on Tv look more realistic than this one.