What's new

GFCI installation problem (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I'm trying to replace the outlet next to the sink in my bedroom with a GFCI outlet. Everything is wired correctly but it trips instantly when power is applied and it won't reset. I've tried two different units, same results. Until I can figure this out I've installed the original outlet and it works fine. This outlet also provides power to the bathroom light and vent fan. I have installed these before with no problem so this "5 minute" job is frustrating me. Could the house wiring be incorrect and still work OK with the regular outlet but not with the GFCI? Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Try reversing the black and white wires. It could have been wired backwards.

The house wiring would work on an incorrectly wired outlet. There are testers that will show if the white (common) and black are reversed.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply. I found the problem. There was another outlet on the circuit that had the grounding wire touching a white wire terminal. This wasn't a problem with the regular outlet but caused the GFCI outlet to trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks