What's new

GF Got me "Full House" S1 for Valentine's Day - What to do? (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
*Reaches out and smacks WillG in the back of the head*

She was being sweet and was thinking of something you guys did together. And who gives two shits about what your friends think? If theyre your true friends they'll understand.

And at least you have a V-Day to share with a girlfriend. I sure as hell dont.

Humbug! :angry:

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
It’s Full House, man – who cares? It’s not like she bought you My Little Pony. ;)

It's cheesy, '80's nostalgia. Nothing more, nothing less. Nobody will think you are any less of a man for having it in your collection.

John McM

Second Unit
I think people would be less embarassed to like this show if it wasn't for the Olsen twins.... there's cute (Rudy, Olivia, Arnold), there's intolerable (Sam Drummond, Cousin Oliver) and the Olsen Twins belong in a catagory all of their own.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I think you shoot her, but that's just me.

Then again, if you ever break-up, you have something you can dramatically break in front of her and secretly not care.

Always think ahead.;)

John*P

Second Unit
For those of you who have seen/heard them, how are the bonus features on this set? (commentaries, unaired pilot, etc.)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Unaired pilot is exactly like the regular pilot, except the actor they replaced with Bob Saget is much much worse. AND the re-shot scenes in the second version of the pilot show a slightly more polished level of acting ability, especially on the kids' part, so the extra "practice" was good for them! :)

Worth comparing against, in other words. I haven't seen the other stuff yet.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
In spite of all the sap, bad acting, and dumb catchphrases, this can actually be funny sometimes. :b

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think it'd only be embarrassing if you put it next to your collection of Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen videos. :D

Seriously, nothing wrong with displaying this as part of your collection. I guess it really depends on how many DVD's you own. Some of us have so many that it wouldn't stand out...and if it did, it's only 1 of MANY, so no one could really give you much slack for owning it.

Now, if your collection is a small list of horror DVD's, maybe Full House may catch an eye or two and be cause for ridicule just because of it's 'out of place'ness.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't mind having it in my collection. Its a nice nostalgia piece, I remember growing up with this show.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

There's actually somebody worse than Bob Saget?;)

Seriously, there's always been something about his "golly, gee whiz" personality that I could never stand. He ruined "America's Funniest Videos" for me. So glad he finally left that show!

Of course, there's more than just Saget that would keep me from watching shows like "Full House." I'm more of the "less is more" approach to giving a lot of screen/story time child actors on television (although the kid on "Three and a Half Men" is alright).

But, if you enjoy it (even to ridicule it), there's no reason to be embarrassed. I once had a VHS of a really awful R-rated version of "Cinderella" (directed by Michael Pataki) that was really awful, but I got a kick out of watching it for the really bad acting/script (the endless nudity actually bored rather than titillated). Is it good cinema? Certainly not, but I'd not be too embarrassed to have it in my collection (though I'd not keep it out anywhere where kids could find it).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Andy, you stole my line!

Take it back and pick up the complete Littlest Hobo collection.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bob Saget's not that bad. Why does everyone rag on him? I don't get it!

I could point to dozens upon dozens of worse actors on TV, or worse characters (Urkel, anyone?). Does Bob's style just grate on your nerves, or what?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I would guess that is likely. The two characters he played, Danny Tanner and the host of "AFHV" were complete lame-Os and people naturally think of him that way. Many people don't realize that his own comedy is quite a bit on the blue side.

He did have a great line in "Half Baked" though.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Oh, yes, Urkel is a much worse character and you're right, it's basically Saget's style that rubs me the wrong way. He could be a fine actor for all I know, just that what I've seen him in doesn't show him in a good light. (Heck, even the guy who plays Screech on "Saved by the Bell" could be an Oscar-calibre performer for all I know, but you sure wouldn't know it by watching him-or anyone else-on "Bell").

Apart from AFV, and brief snippets of "Full House" I might've caught when my wife (then girlfriend) would've had it on, the only other thing I remember seeing Saget in (besides Letterman) was a low-budget sci-fi T&A comedy where he played the voice of a Robot or jukebox or something. I forget the American title of it, but the original British title was something like "Outer Love" or something. Saget's voice was a re-dub for the American market.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mind Bob Saget too much on Full House, even though he was a bit too "Ned Flanders/Walk all over me and I'll just smile".

I really couldn't stand him on AFV. He had that "I just told a bad joke, please kill me" attitude.

Actually, does anyone remember him from "Make me laugh"? He'd come out and say (in a depressed voice) "I have no life, I am such a loser" (or something to that effect). It was funny back then, but it got tiresome as he kept doing it throughout his career.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I don't remember him on Make Me Laugh (I watched the mid-80s reruns that were on before he became famous with AFV), but I do remember the show very well and wish that GSN or someone would show it again. Some of those comedians were really good (I loved it when the Unknown Comic/Murray Langston was on, and there was a comedy duo who did a spot-on Archie and Edith Bunker routine).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks