What's new

Gettysburg (1 Viewer)

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Watched the director's cut a couple of nights ago. At 4 hours plus it seemed a long stretch without an intermission; there is a fade out at about the 150 minute mark, was this intended intended to be for an intermission that never came?
Last night I started to watch the film with the commentary watching about 35 minutes or so. After the first few minutes there is no more commentary for the remaining half hour or so; is this correct?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Watched the director's cut a couple of nights ago. At 4 hours plus it seemed a long stretch without an intermission; there is a fade out at about the 150 minute mark, was this intended intended to be for an intermission that never came?
Last night I started to watch the film with the commentary watching about 35 minutes or so. After the first few minutes there is no more commentary for the remaining half hour or so; is this correct?

Don't know about any intermission. I like this film, but frankly, more footage of terrible mustaches, beards and hair pieces does the original release no favors.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The "Director's Cut" was originally presented as a TV miniseries on TNT. I'd assume the fade out was for "End of Night #".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was living in Indiana when this film was completed. Ted Turner decided to release this film theatrically, but it was very a limited release. I had to make a 120 mile round trip to see it in an Indianapolis movie theater. Then I watched it again on TNT. Anyhow, I love this film and the director's cut of the film makes it even better for me. As to that fade out scene, I think it's what Joel mentioned in his post. As to the commentary I haven't listened to it, but I plan to do so on my next viewing.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
The theatrical version did have a built-in intermission, it came as Chamberlain was walking toward the camera after the battle of Little Round Top - I believe this the fade you noticed. Part 2 even had a short Entr'Acte.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yes I saw the theatrical cut at the theaters too and it did have an intermission. I believe the intermission was on the laserdisc.

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Many thanks for the replies. Never realised it was planned as a mini series. That explains a lot. Must admit that, in spite of its length, I did enjoy the movie. Pity though about those over the top beards! Were they really like that?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Many thanks for the replies. Never realised it was planned as a mini series. That explains a lot. Must admit that, in spite of its length, I did enjoy the movie. Pity though about those over the top beards! Were they really like that?
Indeed they were, you should see the photos taken from that War.

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Indeed they were, you should see the photos taken from that War.

Used to be a big Civil War buff and have seen lots of pics from that time. The beards in this movie just look horribly fake. They really should have hired a better makeup crew for this.:angry:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Used to be a big Civil War buff and have seen lots of pics from that time. The beards in this movie just look horribly fake. They really should have hired a better makeup crew for this.:angry:
I'm not questioning the bad makeup, but the top beards are accurate which is what Brian was asking.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Well, I can almost image seeing strings around the ears holding them in place from certain angles.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the beards weren't great. I remember that from seeing it during its theatrical run. Still, I think that stemmed from the fact that it was originally shot to be shown on old SD televisions, most of which topped out at a fraction in size of today's TV's. (Yes, I know that some folks had projection systems, but most people didn't.) You wouldn't have noticed the bad beards as much. I mean, you could have noticed, but it wouldn't have been nearly as bad as how they looked on a movie screen or on today's HD sets. I haven't seen the film in a while, but I picked up the DVD in the $3.74 bin at Walmart a while back. I remember quite liking it when it was originally released. Having never seen the longer version, I may have to pop in the disc and give it a whirl, since I have some time on my hands at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks