What's new

Gettysburg being pulled off shelves?? (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Robert Duvall makes a believable Robert E. Lee, so much so that I wish he had been cast in the role in Gettysburg instead of Martin Sheen.
I recall that he was the first choice for this part in Gettysburg. I'm not sure if it was a dispute over salary or a scheduling conflict with him.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Robert Duvall is said to be a descendent of Lee. Although I'm sure he'll do a fantastic job(as always) you just can't beat Martin Sheen as Lee. He was Lee in that movie, in likeness and in character. It possible that Warner may be planning a new edition of the film to coincide with the release of Gods and Generals, when that one hits DVD. Perhaps they may plan a newer release, with remixed 5.1 Soundtrack(the previous was 5.0), the extended footage put back in(or at least included as deleted/extended scenes) new commentary with the cast, etc. It could be a 2-Disc set, and have it come in a new case(death to all snappers). Or they might just release it as a 2-Disc set around the time of Gods and Generals and it will be nothing but the first relase, except with 2 discs instead of a DVD-18 dual sided, and a new case.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
My sister in law just bought me the Gettysburg DVD as a thank you for some chores I took care of for her. Now that's a gal who knows how to give a great gift!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It possible that Warner may be planning a new edition of the film to coincide with the release of Gods and Generals, when that one hits DVD.
That reminds me: Gods and Generals is on DVD now, sort of.

The Gods and Generals soundtrack CD comes with a bonus DVD (in a double CD slimline jewel case) that has just under a half hour's worth of material. It includes music videos for the outstanding main- and end-title songs--the former by Mary Fahl (formerly of October Project) and the latter by Bob Dylan--plus the theatrical trailer and 13 minutes' worth of deleted scenes. (Believe it or not, the original theatrical cut was 4 hours and 15 minutes.)

Just an FYI for interested parties. Those who do enjoy the movie might want to hunt down the soundtrack CD.

I wonder if this is worth its own thread?

Larry W

Agent
I work at Suncoast. We haven't pulled Gettysberg on DVD. We re-priced from $24.99 to $19.99. It wouldn't suprise me if it goes on sale for $14.99 soon. Hell, it might already be that price at Best Buy (Suncoast's owner).

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I remember something similar happening with Jingle All the Way a couple of years ago. Apparently some guy tried to sue Fox over it saying the script was stolen from him. I picked it up before it got pulled and haven't seen it on a shelf since, not that I've really looked hard though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I thought Sheen was terrible as Lee and overacted in more than a couple of scenes.

Crawdaddy

Brian E

Screenwriter
Hey Randy, I'm hearing rumors that Sharpsburg is left entirely out of the film, not even mentioned. True?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Hey Randy, I'm hearing rumors that Sharpsburg is left entirely out of the film, not even mentioned. True?
I'm assuming you mean Sharpsburg, Ga.? If so, yes, it's true. Nothing beyond Virginia is covered, fighting-wise.

The film focuses solely on the Virginia battles in which Stonewall Jackson participated. The main ones are the first Manassas and Fredericksburg, and the raid on Chancellorsville.

The film purports to be a sweeping history, but it really should be called Gods and General Stonewall Jackson.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
The main ones are the first Manassas and Fredericksburg, and the raid on Chancellorsville.
I don't know if I'll sit through it in the theater, but this will convince me to pick up the DVD :emoji_thumbsup:. I was born in Fredericksburg and my sister still lives in the Wilderness Battlefield. So much civil war history around there.

Chris

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
just a question- what exactly are the extended/new scenes in the director's cut of Gettysburg? I've always been curious and can't seem to find out.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Darn it...you know, I never rented "Gettysburg" because I always thought it was just some TNT original but changed my mind when I learned it was a theatrical release (Yes, I'm biased against made for TV flicks, unless they're HBO/Showtime productions.)

So with the prequel now in theaters, I wanted to check out "Gettysburg" but, as this thread states, it's unavailable. I thought it was odd since amazon and dvdempire both listed it as a January, 2003 release (is that incorrect or did the DVD have a really short shelf life?)

Eh, I'm sure it'll be re-issued when the prequel hits DVD.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Gettysburg was a TV movie that was upgraded to theatrical.

I'd buy a reissue if it was on 2 discs and NOT a DVD-18 and the extended cut

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting confused following this thread. Who is talking about what movie again? :confused:

(I hope you guys will be explicit about what movie you are referring to in your message. Maybe prefix a sentence with "GaG" or "Gb" or something.)

Jo_C

Second Unit
For the record, guys,

"Gettysburg" was indeed intended as a television miniseries, but Turner decided to give it a 70MM theatrical release, so officially it is in the books as a theatrical release. After its home video release, "Gettysburg" bypassed pay per view and pay-cable and went straight to broadcast cable television on the network it was intended for...TNT.

New Line Cinema had the theatrical rights, but lost them the day it went to home video (via Turner--today Warner Home Video). However, the television rights lie with Sony Pictures Television since Tri-Star Television had a stake in the film (TNT had to go through Sony, not themselves, in order to air the film).

The filmed aspect ratio is 1.33:1 (the Academy ratio), the 70MM aspect ratio is 1.66:1 (letterboxed on the sides, not on the top and bottom), the 35MM ratio is 1.85:1, on video and DVD it's 1.75:1. TNT's last airing (last month, I believe) was letterboxed at 1.75:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks