What's new

Gettysburg being pulled off shelves?? (1 Viewer)

Today at work (Wal-Mart) we were told to pull all Gettysburg titles off the shelves. The note only said there was a dispute between the writers and the studio. Does any one know what this is about????

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Patrick:

My guess is they're pulling it out of print temporarily, only to rerelease it once Gods & Generals comes out on DVD.

I wouldn't worry too much... even IQ-challenged Warner DVD execs can probably see the (monetary) advantages of putting Gettysburg back on the shelf along with G&G when its out. :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I knew I should have bought it a Best Buy last weekend when I had it in my paws. I hope they keep it on the shelves.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Glad I already have a copy on DVD and LD. But too bad they don't release an extended cut of Gettysburg like they did with the laserdisc.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I almost bought this last weekend in anticipation of seeing "God and Generals" but I became hesitant when I realized this was 4+ hour movie with extras all on one disc. How is the picture quality?

I agree with the above opinion that this is probably being prepped for a re-release along with "Gods & Generals"

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why there would be any dispute, the same people who did GETTYSBURG did GODS AND GENERALS.

Also heard that GODS will be released in an extended version on DVD. I think the director said it was going to be a 5 hour film on DVD, don't know what it will be thatrically.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Randy A Salas - was it any good (I hope so for your sake - that is a LONG time!)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Hope they had an intermission. That's beyond bladder limits for most folks.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
This doesn't have anything to do with Ted Turner's well-publicized exit from AOL Time Warner, does it? I wouldn't think so, but you never know.

I agree the longer Director's Cut of GETTYSBURG should have been put out on DVD. Glad I still have my laserdisc (complete with the "authentic Civil War bullet"!).

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Hope they had an intermission. That's beyond bladder limits for most folks.
Way beyond. Two and a half hours is pretty much my limit. Needless to say, I'm still stoked to see God's & Generals...just have to pass on the soda and hope for the best.

Bruce

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
was it any good (I hope so for your sake - that is a LONG time!)
The best I can say is that it appeared to be meticulous in its attention to historical detail. My companions--two of whom are avid moviegoers--were unimpressed. After it was over, one said, "That's the longest Visitor's Center movie I've ever seen!"

And that's the film's biggest problem. It's more accurate to call it a docudrama, rather than a traditional movie. It's epic in scale, and glacial in pacing. The battle scenes are incredible and jaw-droppingly impressive when you see the carnage, the archaic fighting methods and realize that the depictions are accurate. But the material in between is highly variable in quality. Much of the "dialogue" in early scenes amounts to unrealistic speeches, not realistic conversations. And the audience laughed loudly (they weren't supposed to) during a poorly presented musical number--yes, you read that right--that included an overly obvious cameo by Ted Turner.

For what it's worth, the movie focuses on the life and campaigns of Stonewall Jackson, who's decently portrayed by Stephen Lang. Robert Duvall makes a believable Robert E. Lee, so much so that I wish he had been cast in the role in Gettysburg instead of Martin Sheen.

This movie currently has a 7.3/10 rating at IMDB, based on only 42 votes. Thirty of those votes are for a perfect 10. All I can say is that those voters must have been re-enactor extras in the movie. I'd give it 4 or a generous 5.

But that's just me.

There was no intermission, by the way--and no obvious spot for one, in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks