"Gettysburg": Anyone hear of any new DVD releases?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott-C, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

The short story here is that I currently own this DVD and in fact, haven't even opened the plastic outer cover yet. At the last minute this week, my mother decided to buy a DVD player for my father for Christmas, and I figured I'd give him his first DVD. What better DVD to buy him than a movie in which he was an extra? (he played a banker in the background of one of the scenes in Gettysburg).

Rather than go to the store and fight the crowds, I think I'm going to give him my copy of the DVD and replace it after Christmas. But before I replace it, I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about any upcoming special or collector's edition Gettysburg DVDs? I'd rather wait and purchase one of these if it's in the near-future. If not, I'll simply order the current DVD, which already has lots of extras on it.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I haven't heard a thing about a re-release of Gettysburg. I doubt that Warner is in a hurry to redo this title. Overall, the current release is pretty nice. The only real quibble I have with it is the exclusion of the extra footage that was included on the ld.

3. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

The extra footage was included only on the LD box set (which includes, amoung other things, an authentic Civil War bullet). The regular gatefold LD release is the same cut as the dvd, but without extras.

I doubt this will be revisited anytime soon.

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    This was a made for TV (TNT) miniseries and isn't a "hot" seller so doubt it will be an S.E. any time soon. Don't get me wrong, it is a good movie and has high ratings but it is not a pristine razor-sharp transfer and a topic that has its own following.
    Let's hope your father's scene is in there since this is a cut down version of the broadcast.
    The broadcast was 261 minutes, the theater release was 248 minutes, the LD was 271 minutes, and the DVD is 254 minutes.
    Take your choice [​IMG]

5. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

If they do redo the movie how about adding an LFE track.
    -Damien
    Hey Scott, My Stepfather was also an extra, Small world. [​IMG]

6. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

Hey Steven,

It was a theatrical release first (very limited run), before it was ever shown on T.V. It was meant to be a movie first, not a T.V. mini-series.

Todd

7. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Actually it was originally meant to be a TNT original movie called "The Killer Angels" (Based on the book). For some reason they thought it sounded too much like a Biker movie title, changed the name and gave it a theatrical release instead.
    Now there is a sequel (not really but much of the cast is returning from what I know) currently in production called Gods and Generals, of which Robert Duvall will be playing Lee (gooooood choice).
    You can look it up on on imdb.
    I see a DVD doublepack in the far future [​IMG]

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

9. Eric Thrall

Eric Thrall Stunt Coordinator