getting your speaker cabinet pretty

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tyler Cookson, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson Stunt Coordinator

I am doing a DIY project building an enclousure for my 15" RE HC. I am building the box soon, I know everything I need to build it. but what do I use to give it those finishing touches that make it look awesome.

I am looking for some kind of High gloss black look to it. I have no idea how to get it though. If any of you have any pics of your sub boxes that you did yourself link them!

2. Tyler Cookson

no one?

3. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

well I have never done a speaker cabinet specifically... BUT, I have done MANY PC cases including some out of wood and the best shiny gloss black I have gotten is with automotive paint.

Paint in primer. Sand smooth. Repeat till smooth as possible. Spray color coat. wet sand. Repeat a few times of the color coat/wet sanding. Finally spray a clearcoat and 1 more time wet sanding then high gloss rub.

great hard coating.

If you need flexible paint there is some stuff you add in to make it more flexible. (shops use it on plastic car bumpers).

4. Tyler Cookson

thank you, that is exactly the stuff I need. This is going to be an 11^ft box so Its pretty huge, so should i use an automatic sander or do it by hand (ugh)

Still kinda new to this stuff.. what is wet sanding and what is the high gloss rub?

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Hey Tyler,
    I am an ex- painter turned bodyshop manager, and will add my input.
    You could get away with doing everything by hand but an air-powered dual action sander would serve you better.
    Any nicks or large imperfections in the surface now?
    If they're all small, the primer sould fill them.
    Now, how much do you want to spend? You could go all out and get a really nice two-part system and have the hottest speakers around, or you could go all lacquer (which is much less expensive) and spend some time and still get a killer finish.
    Prep-wise, start with your coarser grits first to prep the wood, sand everything completely (all grooves and nooks and crannies,) the last thing you want is for any peeling goin on. Prime with your choice of primer, and sand, with a finer grit this time, again completely. Finish with wet-sanding with a fine grit (preferrably 400 or better) the finer, the better.
    Now topcoat, again your choice, just remember black shows all... The final stage will be clearcoat, watch the dirt and you should be fine. If need be you can wetsand them again to remove orange peel and dirt then buff and polish them, this time, using 1200 to 1500 grit.
    Good luck, and I think you'll be pleasatly surprised at how nice they'll turn out!!!!
    PM me if you need any extra help

6. Tyler Cookson

k man, thanks so much, I pmed you