Getting Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeepakJR, Oct 5, 2002.

1. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Im planning on gettin a wireless router, but i cannot decide on which one. Im looking for an 802.11 and build in 4 switch, preferable 4 port. I also want good range in terms of distance. Anyone wiht experience wanna comment on a good one?

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

2. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I've just got a Dlink and they make pretty decent stuff. I've had problems with my Linksys (had to RMA it) but my Dlink has been solid. YMMV.

3. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Really if you can wait I would hold out for a 5GHz model which should be available in a few months.

I think the faster speed and lack of interference with cordless phones would be worth the wait.

4. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

5 Ghz models are available already, but im not willing to invest the $300+ on the access point alone. Im thinking of Getting the D-Link 614, a 5 Ghz card costs the same as the access point. What model of D-Link router do you have Dave?
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.
    Edit: Just looked at a U.S. Robotics router at CompUSA,
    here , anyone have any comments on that one? looks like it has good build quality.

5. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I have 2 of the Linksys BEFW11S4, and have no problems whatsoever...wireless link is good and strong, no issues with the router, good solid unit!!!

TimK

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I know that 5GHz access points are already out but I wasn't aware that there were already routers also available.

Could some please tell me who make a 5GHz AP and router combo?

Thanks

7. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Im sorry Patrick, i thought the AP had the built it router. Im unsure about which router to get now[​IMG] If i remeber right, i can return it to Best Buy no questions asked if its within 14 days, maybe ill try out both of them. Best Buy has both the D-Link 614 and the Linsys 11S4.Does anymore know for sure about the return though?
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

8. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Netgear Router and PCMCIA Card , just found this. ANyone have any experience with Netgear? I already have a card, but i can always resell it or return it somewhere else w/no receipt[​IMG]
    l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

9. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Just how much do these wireless routers interfere with cordless phones?

Having a new house built now...and I'm about to purchase new phones and go with wireless broadband also.

10. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

Like Patrick said, better to go with the 5 Ghz. If you got the money, or you might want to wait for 802.11g, which combines both 802.11a and 802.11b if u want to try out both. You might also want to get the new 5.8 Ghz phones if you want to get the 2.4 wireless network. I decided on ordering the Netgear MR314 from buy.com. I saw it today at a friends house and the connection was great even outside. I know i will be eventually upgrading to the 5.8 Ghz phones this year.

l8rz,
    Deepak Jr.