Getting VOOM and keeping DirecTv

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam R. Aucoin, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

I posted this in two forums: TV/Displays and Tweaks, Connections, as it seems it fits in both and I don't want to miss out on experts in both forums having an opportunity to respond.

I currently have DirecTv and will keep it because of the TIVO compatability with DirecTv.

Next week, I am getting VOOM set up as well (right now, they are WAIVING installation cost - over $400 - and charging ONLY monthly rental of $9.50 plus programming; really, quite a deal).

Problem: I have a Hitachi plasma display with only ONE DVI input. My current Hughes HT-HDL DirecTv receiver has a DVI output. So far, so good. One DVI output, so I only need one DVI input.

But when VOOM comes aboard, I will then have TWO DVI outputs - one from the Hughes and one from the VOOM receiver.

Question 1: How (if possible) do I connect both receivers using the DVI input for my TV?

Question 2: If I CAN connect both, how do I "toggle" back and forth between the two receivers? I am certain that there will be certain overlapping channels, so how will my receivers and TV "know" which one I want to watch at any given time?

I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Regards,

Sam

2. nick_rh

nick_rh Stunt Coordinator

Connect one of them via the component input. Since you'll probably be doing most of your HDTV watching on the Voom box, it probably makes more sense to use the DVI for that.

3. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

I agree.

4. Sam R. Aucoin

Is there a significant difference in picture quality between DVI and component HDTV reproduction? I have never had more than one HDTV unit, so I could never do a sid-by-side comparison.

After posting, I ran across a thread in another forum (now I lost the link) where I "THINK" I saw that some cable manufacturer makes a cable with two DVI source connectors going down to just one DVI input connector. This make sense from the standpoint of being able to take advantage of both DVI outputs from the two DVI sources.

The problem, however, (at least to me) is how to get the receivers to go back and forth with their display material to the TV so that there is no overlap.

For example, with my Pronto remote, I simply hit "laser" and it automatically causes my TV's input to accept a laserdisc picture. When I want to watch DVD, I do the same - hit DVD and the DVD input is used.

But with the DirecTv and VOOM, they will BOTH be "vying" for one superior input (the DVI). I suppose that when I turn one of the receivers off, the other one that is on will be the one showing on the TV, and vice versa. Or am I wrong on this?

Lastly, does anyone MAKE a double to single DVI cable?

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Regards,

Sam

5. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

Only you can answer the question about DVI/Component quality. This will vary due to equipment. If you tell us your setup someone here may have something similar and be able to comment.

If there is such a beast as a 2 to 1 DVI cable. I'm guessing that you'd need to have one piece of equipment on at a time to make it work. The cable would probably blend the two signals if both STBs were on. I'd also guess there's a chance this could degrade your presentation as the "On" STB may send its signal parallel through the "Off" STB at the same time as it sends a signal to the TV. This could cause a voltage drop. I could also be completely wrong[​IMG]

6. Sam R. Aucoin

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Gefen should work well. I have their 4x1 DVI switch with remote (only $100 more, and well worth it).