Getting used to HD.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonnyD, Jan 15, 2002.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Have had my HD tv for over a week now and we are slowly getting used to the difference. Just wanted to know if it is common to others here.

When watching dvds, we really notice when a camera (filming the movie) is out of focus even slightly. Sometimes this seems to occur when a "leading" actor or actress is onscreen, and I guess an effort is made to smooth those wrinkles a bit with a softer camera. Some of the time, it appears just to be the camera doing the shooting is just slightly out of focus. Older movies seem to be more apt to do this than newer ones but it is still there.

We also notice the depth of field changing when characters in the movie are in the same frame but at different distances. I am sure this is purposeful since they want the attention on the speaking actor.

All in all, HD seems to put more pressure on a director to make sure his camera men are doing their job and know how to get their equipment up to snuff. Video engineering seems a lot more important now than ever.

Funny, but we never noticed this stuff on our old 55" regular rptv. It was there, just never noticed it.

2. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

It might help if you post they type of TV, 'content device' (Cable, HD, DVD, etc).

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Thanks Tim....

The new HD is a 4:3 Toshiba 55" and it replaced the same size Toshiba so we were able to make side by side comparisons without regard to different size pics.

The difference is just night and day! We now see lines in the older tv whereas we didn't notice them before as much and the focus changing in movies is really noticable on the HD set but not noticable on the other. Yes, we have confirmed this to be the dvds and not the tv itself. That was what the original question was about. The HD is just so defined and clear that you notice this focus or non-focus during the movie (albeit very subtle). That is why some have posted that HD seems like 3-D because of the depth of field is so obvious!

I am glad to have made the upgrade and when HD programing becomes more widespread, I'll upgrade again to a 16:9 set. We do have digital cable but so far all programing is 4:3. We do watch a lot of dvds but it is really only 5% of our viewing and on this size tv, it's quite ok. AND, I didn't have to rebuild out entertainment center which was custom built to "surround the other 55" Tosh!

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Now you know why good cinematographers cost a lot of money [​IMG]

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Sometimes the difference between the focus on the female lead (soft) and the male characters (normal) is striking and obvious.

You're now seeing these details because what you're watching is a much better approximation of the original film (the classic "film-like" adjective). The old analog interlaced video couldn't do it justice.

6. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I would suggest that you read your owners manual,the section dealing with DNR. In many of the Toshiba sets the DNR activates the 2-3 pulldown. If it is not activated in your set it is possible that you are getting artifacts in your picture. I would try it with the DNR off and on to see if it impacts the focus problem that you are experiencing.The 2-3 pulldown only works when a dvd in playing in a non progressive scan player.If you have a progressive scan player then the 2-3 pull down is generally a non issue. Suggest you do a search on 2-3 pulldown some people call it a 3-2 pulldown .

If this is a problem with a dvd playing I suggest that you check your disks to make certain that they are clean no smudge or oils marks on them, then if the focus problem is still there borrow an other dvd player.

There is a notceable difference when watching a NTSC picture on a HD set,there seems to be a sheer curtain affect over the picture. It varies from channel to channel depending on the source,cable antenae or sattelite I have two different sattelite dishes and I do notice a differance in the NTSC picture quality.

The set will produce a great HD picture the quality in a NTSC will varfy depending on the source.

If you are still noticing the out of focus problem I suggest you call Toshiba service to calibrate the focus on your set.

One thing I was not clear on was the viewing distance to the set. The closer you are to the set the more

faults you will observe in the quality of the picture however if the viewing distance is beyong 9 to 10ft then it

is a non issue.

In looking at RPTV the non HDTV appear to produce a better quality picture that a HD set when I view them side by side.

These are a few thoughts that may assist with your problem

I own a 56 H 81 16 by 9 Toshiba last years model and I do not have a focus problem at all.

It is my understanding from the comments on this form the new Tosbia sets are suppose to be a significantly better picture than last year model

7. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

My comments about the comparison of the two sets,what I mean is that a normal RPTV will produce a better NTSC picture than a HD set. The HD sets are getting better in the production of the NTSC picture but the source material impacts severly, because the line doubling tends to magnify the faults.

8. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Having watched more dvds now, I believe this subtle focus changing is simply due to the cameras used and depth of field adjustment being used to isolate the subject.

It' so different from the regular rptv..... Yes I tried the DNR and theres no difference.

BTW, I am also now seeing the differences in dvds, their clarity and focus. Newer ones, Gladiator and SPR for instance are extremely sharp focus but older ones are a little softer.

9. Joey_R

Joey_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm curious about other noticeable differences. Specifically, I have read that normal, analog broadcasts can be difficult to view because the digital TV is so good at revealing the low signal resolution. Have you found that to be the case?