Getting up to turn on/off xbox

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

Every other piece of equipment in my HT setup can be controlled via a remote control. Of course, in many instances, 1 remote will do the job. Obviously, this isn't new to anyone. Call me lazy, but it would sure be nice if I could do that with the xbox. I havn't seen the dvd xbox remote, but I would imagine it has a on/off button. So therefore, the xbox must have an infrared receiver in it. I have no interest in using the xbox as a dvd player and I certainly don't want to pay 30 bucks and have another remote laying around just to turn it on and off. I wonder if anyone has figured out a code to program into their universal remote to work with the xbox. If you know of such a thing - please speak up.

2. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

I believe that like the PS2, the infrared receiver comes with the remote and plugs into a joypad port.

You might be able to get a stand-alone receiver third party, but the XBox doesn't have the capability built-in.

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

And the Xbox dvd remote doesn't have an On/Off button, nor an Open/Close button - probably due to limits of the hardware, where it can only be controlled by the two respective buttons on the front.

And Dave is correct.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hehe... i remember the days when quality HT components all had HARD buttons. My DPL Processor, my Stereo Amp, my CD Player... ah... Had to get up to adjust the volume on the amp... a PITA really though...

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I heard Philips made the remote for the Xbox, and RCA codes work just fine.

6. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

It's true that the XBOX does not have an onn/off button on the remote but it DOES have an auto shut off feature in the menu. So at least you don't have to get up to shut it off.

I'm guessing you have to get up to put a disc in to play so "On" wouldn't be a problem.