What's new

Getting TV today need some help now!!!..please (1 Viewer)

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I will be getting a new hdtv today(finally saved the money). I would like a direct view, mainly because I play a ton of XBOX games and DLP is too much money right now.

I need the tv to be able to display 720p, because as you know many XBOX games are in 720p. Might I add it needs to be from Best Buy(cause of there credit plan). I have been looking at the Sony KV-36HS510. I looked under the specs and here is what it says "Hi-Scan 1080i? Display --- Sony's Hi-Scan1080i? TV's accept the full 1080 interlaced scanning lines (1080i) or 720 progressive scan (720p) from an external HDTV receiver or a compatible high definition digital satellite receiver. It also accepts 480 progressive (480p) scanning lines from compatible DVD video sources." The specs are located here:http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...ntentItemPage=

This set does support 720p right? Now another question. Stupid but simple..does it do it natively? What does natively mean? Does it mean that it isn't up or down converted from 480p or 1080i? Will there be a big difference if it is converted from a native image?

If so what direct view tv do you recommend from BB that will do 720p and still have a good image as Sony does? For around the same price.

Thanks for all your help!

Troy

Robert.CB

Agent
Hello Troy,

I have the KV-36HS510 at home. It's a really good TV. Yes it does support 720p as long as your source can output that, but you have to use component video cables to achieve this. I do have an XBOX and I do have the component video cables for the XBOX (which I got from Best Buy online), but I haven't hooked it up to the Sony yet due to space limitations. This TV can also display two different sources Split Screen, it's like watching 2 different TV's at the same time, which is pretty neat. Hope this helps.

Robert

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Sony may accept 720p signals, but it doesn't display them as 720p; it converts them to 1080i.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Troy,

I've seen 720p to 1080i conversion done by several different HD tuner boxes--you can't tell the difference.

If the set upconverts 720p to 1080i it should look just like native 1080i, which is excellent. What you want to avoid is a set that won't accept 720p at all, or downconverts it to 480p.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
so the Sony upconverts? And another stupid question...All I need to have the XBOX games play in HD(720p,1080i) is the XBOX right? I do not need a HD tuner box as well do I?

I think I am going to go with the Sony KV-36HS510 unless anyone can suggest a better set.

Thanks for the help!

Troy

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Your XBOX will be outputting the HD format (720p or 1080i, whichever) straight to the tv, no tuner box needed, and the set will display it either natively in the case of 1080i or converted to 1080i from incoming 720p.

You will need a tuner box only if you want to watch High Definition tv programming.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh...well ESPN 2k4 is 720p and thats all I care about right now anyway :)....are you a ps2 fanboy by chance?

So I take it there are no direct view sets that do 720p native? And I also take it the Sony is the best bet??

Thanks again
Troy

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
So I take it there are no direct view sets that do 720p native? And I also take it the Sony is the best bet??
Considering that plasma displays are direct view, there are plenty of native 720p, direct view displays.

I would not go so far as to state with certainty that there are no direct view CRT TVs with native 720p capabilities. There are a lot of TVs on the market…

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Princeton Graphics and Sampo both distribute direct-view, CRT-based monitors that display 720p natively. But I'd be loathe to use such quality displays for anything other than true home theater.

Troy*H

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, Dean I had a really bad day at work the other day and was really sleepy. Didn't mean to snap at you.

I know there are tons of tv's out their but I don't know where to look or get information from besides this forum.

I would like to spend two grand but maybe I would go three grand. I would really like the tv to be able to do 720p native. I would be happy with either a 32" or 36" set.

I watch a lot of dvd's and play a lot of xbox games. The set would also have to be something from a big chain store( I would have to put in on credit...so I would need the financing deals they give...sucks being 20)

And I don't want a plasma. I want a crt-based tv(monitor) I would go with a dlp but I don't think I can swing the price.

Thanks for the help!

Troy

P.S- if you know of any other fourms I could get advise from that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks