Getting TV signal to HT

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by greg_mc, Dec 13, 2004.

1. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Hardware
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-DS898
    Projector: PT-L500U
    VCR: Panasonic

Just completed my awesome dedicated Home Theatre. DVD movies are great. Picture quality is better than expected and all 8 speakers are superb. Now I am trying to get a TV signal to this room. After this I will work on HDTV signal since I have the HD tuner already. But first things first.

Current thought process for TV signal: Path is from the cable jack on the wall to the VCR via RG-6 cable. I need a TV tuner and figured the unused VCR in my house would do the trick since the projector is just a monitor, really. RG-6 then comes off of VCR but goes where? The receiver has a coax input that is labeled 75 ohm but think that is used for broadcast FM signals. Connected the audio (white RCA plug) from VCR to receiver and that sent sound to HT room. Yea, I got sound to right side speakers only. Hey, it's a start. Tried to send video (yellow RCA plug) straight from VCR to projector but no picture since both have RCA plugs. Question: How do I send TV signal (video and audio) to my dedicated HT?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Greg, I'm confused. You said you already have a HDTV tuner, what do you have? Is it a HDTV cable box, HDTV OTA receiver, satellite HDTV receiver? Why are you messing around with the VCR for cable signal?
    With my projector for example, I have a Dish Network 811 HD receiver hooked up, and to the back of that I hooked up my OTA antenna to pick up all my locals in HD. The tuner is built into the sat. receiver.
    I really can't help you until I know what type of HDTV tuner you have.

3. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I assume that when you say you have the HD tuner already it is either a cable box or satellite receiver, correct? Further, you state that you have the white plug going from your VCR to the receiver; that would indicate that your VCR is monaural. If that is the case, yes, you will only be getting the left channel through your receiver. If you get an RCA "Y" cable and plug that in from the 1 audio output from your VCR to the red and white plugs into your receiver, you will get sound out of both left and right speakers, although it will be the same sound in each, that is mono only, not stereo. You are correct, the coax input on your receiver is usually for cable music broadcasts or a coaxial antenna. Does your projector have an RF coaxial input? It is unlikely that it does but that is where the RG6 cable would go from the VCR to the projector, just like on a TV?. Do you have the yellow plug going from the video output of the VCR to the composite (yellow) video input of the projector? Have you got the correct input selected on the projector, i.e. Video1, Video2, etc. for the picture feed from the VCR? Check those and let us know more.

4. greg_mc

greg_mc Extra

Not sure I will keep the HDTV tuner (Samsung) and not sure the OTA antenna will work due to rolling hills . Forget about the HDTV for now. Just trying to get regular TV signal to HT for starters. Satellite dish will not work in my neighborhood due to trees and cable company does not offer HD signal. Had 2 satellite companies come out already. I want to get regular TV signal to the HT but have hard time. How can I do this with my receiver, VCR, and projector?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Here is a simple rule:

- Audio feeds go to the receiver
    - Video feeds go to the display device

You got it! The VCR is the TV tuner that converts RF to Audio/Video outputs.

You need to go from the Composite video jack on the output of the VCR (the single Yellow RCA plug) to your Composite input (single yellow RCA plug). Then the L/R audio jacks from the back of the VCR to the "TV/DBS" audio inputs on the back of your receiver.

Does this help?

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Greg, which 2 satellite companies came out? Because Dish Network and Directv both point in same basic direction.
    But, from what I understand Voom is in a totally different direction(I think I read it orbits over Florida). Maybe Voom would work for you.