What's new

Getting to HDTV from scratch (1 Viewer)

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
I'm going to do it. It may take me a year, but I WILL watch the 2002 Superbowl in HDTV. I would LOVE to see the 2001 Masters Tournament in HDTV, but that is probably too soon.
I’m starting from scratch, except for a basic DVD player and a good sound system (Nakamichi 5.1, B&W). I like finding the best performance/value products. I don't mind spending the money, but want to buy the right stuff.
My current TV is a standard Sony 27”. The following lists the items I believe I need. Please respond with any corrections or suggestions. I’m looking for feedback to make sure I’m on the right track.
1) New DTV television, 16X9 screen, 1080i capable. My current viewing room is fairly small, so I’m thinking I can get away with a 36” monitor. This will be my biggest investment and I want to do this right. I love DVD and want to have a very capable monitor for this also. I imagine my next DVD player will have progressive-scan capability. This TV should last me 10 years at least! I like my Sony and wouldn’t mind a WEGA. I have heard that Toshiba is good too. Anything else I should look at?
2) HDTV/Satellite receiver (like the DTC100). I see that all the manufacturers are releasing new boxes with satellite capability built in. Any technology coming I should wait for?
3) HDTV capable dish. I’m a little cloudy here. I believe you need the right type of dish in order to receive HDTV service. I’m sure it depends on the service provider.
4) DirecTV satellite service. I recently upgraded to AT&T Digital Cable and am disappointed. No digital sound and I don’t believe they will be offering HDTV any time soon. I’ve heard about the Dish network also, but haven’t done much research on the differences yet.
5) HDTV capable antenna for OTA transmission.
What am I forgetting? Anything coming down the road that I should wait for? Any time of year better for buying the TV?
Thanks.
------------------
Scott's Link Removed - By Appointment Only

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Premature congrats on taking the plunge!
If your deadline is January 2002, then you have a ways to go before you have to start buying things. The good news is that many of the HD-related products shown at CES a couple of weeks ago will be on the market in the next year. Today's recommendations are likely to change based on the new set-top boxes and televisions that are coming in the next few months.
Are you in an area with broadcast digital television? Check TitanTV.com to see for sure. If you don't have the signal, the best laid plans will be for naught.
The only television I've seen that I've considered in the 40-inch size range is the Toshiba 40H80. Bigger is better, especially if you are going from 4x3 to 16x9 and you still intend to watch 4x3 programming.
I'm a Dish Network guy...at the time I signed up, they were the only satellite service with UPN, and now they have more HD content than DirectTV (although this is certain to change over time). For new subscribers, you should be able to get a package deal with their Dish 6000 receiver, 8VSB OTA module (for HD reception of local channels via antenna), and two dishes. One dish is their larger "Dish 500" model which addresses two satellites. The second dish is smaller, and will point to a satellite that includes the HD programming. Then you also need a plain-jane over-the-air antenna for your local digital channels, that is, if your area has local digital channels.
Of course, that's based on what is available today. You could have this setup operational by *this* year's Superbowl. If you wait a bit, there should be several new set-top boxes, including satellite combos. And prices are bound to come down.
Best of luck!
- Steve

Bruce N

Second Unit
Even if you buy all the stuff you won't see it in HD because FOX has the rights to the 2002 Super Bowl.
Sorry.
------------------
"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce, Fox is broadcasting HD in my area, are you saying they just aren't broadcasting the 2002 superbowl in HD?
Roger

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Fox is broadcasting in HD in my area, too.
I think it's a little premature for us to assume their broadcast won't be HD for the 2002 Superbowl.
- Steve

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Steve said:
Fox is broadcasting in HD in my area, too.
I think it's a little premature for us to assume their broadcast won't be HD for the 2002 Superbowl.
Fox affiliates often transmit in 720P but FOX network does not support HDTV!
Fox network has never broadcast HDTV! The best they have ever done is 480p which is upconverted to 720P or 1080i depending on the affiliate.
------------------
Frank
Join the Home Recording Rights Coalition.
http://www.hrrc.org/

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
So the widescreen Malcolm and X-Files from a couple of weeks back was 480P? And last night's programming as well? Bummer.
Anyway, it is absolutely premature to predict what Fox is going to do a year from now. I wouldn't write the Superbowl off.
Besides, there is more to HDTV than the Superbowl, and there is *plenty* of other programming available.
- Steve

Bruce N

Second Unit
Oh, I agree. There's lots more to HDTV, and I'm watching as much as I can get. However, FOX is not producing any HD material and has no plans for any in the foreseeable future. This has been widely discussed over at the AVS forum.
Don't feel bad, there's lots of confusion about the difference between Digital TV and High Definition TV.
Bruce
------------------

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Thanks for your feedback Steve.
I looked at TitanTV.com and found that the following are broadcasting "DigitalTV" now:
PBS, UPN, ABC, FOX (Jan 1)
Coming May, 2001:
CBS, PAX, NBC, WB.
I assume "Broadcasting in Digital" does not mean HDTV, right? Anywhere I can find out who in my area will be broadcasting true HDTV?
I'm adding a HDTV capable antenna to my list in the original post.
------------------

Bruce N

Second Unit
I looked at TitanTV.com and found that the following are broadcasting "DigitalTV" now:
PBS, UPN, ABC, FOX (Jan 1)
Coming May, 2001:
CBS, PAX, NBC, WB.
PBS - Should have a fair amount of HD material.
UPN - No HD material.
ABC - As far as I know NYPD Blue is the only HD program they are producing.
FOX - No HD material, however, some shows are shown in 16x9.
CBS - Lots of HD stuff, almost all primetime shows except news programs, lots of sports, Super Bowl, Sony Golf this weekend, The Masters, and maybe The Final Four.
PAX - Unknown, I doubt they have any HD material.
NBC - Leno and some movies are HD.
WB - No HD material.
The only way to know for sure is either contact the engineers at your local station and ask what their position is and what they are broadcasting in HD or put up an antenna and see what you get.
I could be wrong about a lot of this so feel free to correct me.
Bruce
------------------

Mike I

Supporting Actor
ABC has about 6 or 7 movies a month in addition to nypd blue.
The fox affialiates who are doing 16x9 on some shows are 480p..All fox affialiates who are now digital will have this capability by Aug this year
------------------

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
***drool***
2001 Masters in HDTV
*** DROOL! ***
I may have to move up my time table. :)
OK, the hardest decision is which TV. Anyone have suggestions for 36" or 40" DTVs? Is there any hope for getting something good under $2500? What if I waited until mid-2001? From what I've read about CES this year, everthing is still big screen and big bucks.
------------------

Bruce N

Second Unit
That's the spirit! The biggest problem with HD for me is when it's over and I have to change back to a regular channel!
laugh.gif

Bruce
------------------

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
You can easily get in under $2500.00, Toshiba's 40" TW40X81 is on sale for $1880.00 at:
http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/
There is a later model now I believe 40H80, but the TW40X81 has been well received and the price is right.
I'm sure there are other sets in your price range as well.
Roger

Kishu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kishore
If you want a HDTV now, then you can go for a 55" Tosh or Mits for about $3200 (incl tax and maybe warranty) or the Tosh 40H80 for around $2700.
If you wait till Aprl, then you can buy TVs at much better price :) (In this crazy hi-tech world you wait you can buy anything for a lower price..hehe-the question is for how long will you wait?
wink.gif
)
Panasonic is supposed to introduce 47" TV in Aprl (?) at around $2500..I'm sure this move will bring Toshiba's 40" prices down..
If you want a HDTV NOW like me, you have no choice go for it :)
Cheers,
Kishore

Jim Clark

Auditioning
I just gotta have HD for the Masters!
biggrin.gif
rool:
Get as big a set as you can afford. You can sit much closer to the new RPTVs than used to be the case. I have a Toshiba 50" TN50X81 4:3 set, I like it very much. I could sit as close as 8' and it's fine although our current distance is about 11'. Unfortunately it doesn't squeeze, the newer version will squeeze for HD but not DVD, really dumb move Tosh!
The Sony HS10's and one Philips model will squeeze for both. I've seen HD on the Sony and it was really great.
If you still watch a lot of 4:3 source material like me, a 4:3 set might be a better choice, especially one that can squeeze. You can get a lot bigger 4:3 set for the same money you'll spend on a 16:9. Check this site for picture size comparisons for all aspect ratios.
Link Removed

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Assuming I get a HD capable TV soon (hehehe, this itch MUST be scratched) and I get the DISH network with the 6000 and extra dish for the HD satellite, will I be able to receive the CBS HD broadcast of the SuperBowl and Masters over the DISH network? My local CBS station isn't broadcasting until May so the OTA won't matter.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks