What's new

Getting "THX SurrEX" on DX-DS989 (1 Viewer)

Clinton Stark

Auditioning
I have the ultra version (just ordered upgrade) of the Onkyo TX-DS989. For the life of me, I can only ever get the dsp message to show plain "DolbyD" or "DTS" - I can't get "THX SurrEX" or "DTS-ES"...are these messages you can only get with the Ultra2 upgrade?

I am using EX encoded material (Phantom Menace, etc.) and can definitely hear great sound out of the surround backs. Just curious though about screen messages.

Cheers,
Clint

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
There is a button on the remote 'THX', press that and switch THX to on rather than auto. The 989 does not auto detect well at all.
Good luck
Marc

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
He is correct about the "THX button"
The manual that comes with the upgrade is a bit confusing as well. Also if you press the "Surround" button when DD is playing, it will toggle to DD-EX Auto and DD-EX on.
From what I gather:
THX Ultra II: to derive a 7.1 channel soundfield from 5.1 encoded movies(not encoded with DD-EX or DTS-ES).
THX MusicMode: to dervie 7.1 channel soundfield from 5.1 encoded music discs.
THX-EX: for movies that are encoeded with DD-EX(adds THX processing).
Hope this helps.

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
The 989 detects just fine. There are only 3 DVDs with the EX flag encoded on the them. If you have the input set to "Auto" then your receiver should correctly identify DTS-ES encoded discs and the 3 DVDs with the EX flag.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I never had a problem detecting DTS-ES. I never detected DD-EX properly. Which 3 DVD's are you refering to?
Marc

Wes Stover

Stunt Coordinator
Jurassic Park III, Atlantis, and Pearl Harbor. I have yet to get Pearl Harbor to be recognized correctly. I reported it due to some other people reporting that their receivers recognized an EX flag on the DVD. I personally haven't. I will confirm that I have tested both Jurassic Park III and Atlantis successfully.

Chip E

Screenwriter
Hmmm... interesting.. i have gotten THX Surround EX too appear watching JPIII but have yet to throw in Pearl Harbor. My receiver is THX Ultra2 certified (Denon 5803). For all other Dolby Digital 5.1 stuff it shows up as THX Ultra2 Home Cinema. This is when you run 7 speakers...

Clinton Stark

Auditioning
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help! It worked. My first post here and I learned something new already.

I had to use "THX" button as Marc indicated to cycle it to "on" - then I get it into "THX SurrEX" mode. It's annoying that a received at this price doesn't do it automatically (as it's supposed to).

For DTS on the 989 all I can get displayed is "DTS" even with ES discs. I guess I need to get the Ultra2 upgrade before anything else will work with that.

Clint

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Clint,
For DTS-ES you need to go into thge setup menus. I can't tell you exactly where (from memory) but you have to select it in there somewhere. You do not need the upgrade to do DTS-ES discrete stuff.
Marc

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Pearl Harbor only has the EX flag on the French language track, and it's a mistake, as Pearl Harbor is not an EX mix.

-Lyle J.P.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
For DTS-ES you need to go into thge setup menus. I can't tell you exactly where (from memory) but you have to select it in there somewhere. You do not need the upgrade to do DTS-ES discrete stuff.
You do need the first upgrade. Also you can do DTS-ES by pressing the "surround" button while a DVD is playing(in DTS).

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
That is true about the first upgrade. I forgot about that one. You don't need the newest hardware upgrade.
Marc

Bruce Cadotte

Stunt Coordinator
That is true about the first upgrade. I forgot about that one. You don't need the newest hardware upgrade.
Everyone should do the newest upgrade because the Hardware upgrade also preps it for next year's software upgrade and if you did not do last years upgrade this is also included for the $300.00 upgrade charge.(goes up to $500.00 next month)
I sent my Integra 9.1(Onkyo 989)in last Monday got it back on Friday and been loving it even more then before,every thing i listen to sounds so much better,even TV in ProLogic 2,more detail in the sound in all the formats i listen in,even THX Ultra 2 which does not have that muted sound that THX had before.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I have read mixed reviews from people who did the upgrade. Check out the thread on Hometheaterspot.com in the onkyo forum. A mixed bag of opinions.
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks