Getting "THX SurrEX" on DX-DS989

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clinton Stark, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Clinton Stark

Clinton Stark Auditioning

I have the ultra version (just ordered upgrade) of the Onkyo TX-DS989. For the life of me, I can only ever get the dsp message to show plain "DolbyD" or "DTS" - I can't get "THX SurrEX" or "DTS-ES"...are these messages you can only get with the Ultra2 upgrade?

I am using EX encoded material (Phantom Menace, etc.) and can definitely hear great sound out of the surround backs. Just curious though about screen messages.

Cheers,
    Clint

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

There is a button on the remote 'THX', press that and switch THX to on rather than auto. The 989 does not auto detect well at all.
    Good luck
    Marc

3. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

He is correct about the "THX button"
    The manual that comes with the upgrade is a bit confusing as well. Also if you press the "Surround" button when DD is playing, it will toggle to DD-EX Auto and DD-EX on.
    From what I gather:
    THX Ultra II: to derive a 7.1 channel soundfield from 5.1 encoded movies(not encoded with DD-EX or DTS-ES).
    THX MusicMode: to dervie 7.1 channel soundfield from 5.1 encoded music discs.
    THX-EX: for movies that are encoeded with DD-EX(adds THX processing).
    Hope this helps.

4. Wes Stover

Wes Stover Stunt Coordinator

The 989 detects just fine. There are only 3 DVDs with the EX flag encoded on the them. If you have the input set to "Auto" then your receiver should correctly identify DTS-ES encoded discs and the 3 DVDs with the EX flag.

5. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I never had a problem detecting DTS-ES. I never detected DD-EX properly. Which 3 DVD's are you refering to?
    Marc

6. Wes Stover

Wes Stover Stunt Coordinator

Jurassic Park III, Atlantis, and Pearl Harbor. I have yet to get Pearl Harbor to be recognized correctly. I reported it due to some other people reporting that their receivers recognized an EX flag on the DVD. I personally haven't. I will confirm that I have tested both Jurassic Park III and Atlantis successfully.

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Hmmm... interesting.. i have gotten THX Surround EX too appear watching JPIII but have yet to throw in Pearl Harbor. My receiver is THX Ultra2 certified (Denon 5803). For all other Dolby Digital 5.1 stuff it shows up as THX Ultra2 Home Cinema. This is when you run 7 speakers...

8. Clinton Stark

Clinton Stark Auditioning

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help! It worked. My first post here and I learned something new already.

I had to use "THX" button as Marc indicated to cycle it to "on" - then I get it into "THX SurrEX" mode. It's annoying that a received at this price doesn't do it automatically (as it's supposed to).

For DTS on the 989 all I can get displayed is "DTS" even with ES discs. I guess I need to get the Ultra2 upgrade before anything else will work with that.

Clint

9. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Clint,
    For DTS-ES you need to go into thge setup menus. I can't tell you exactly where (from memory) but you have to select it in there somewhere. You do not need the upgrade to do DTS-ES discrete stuff.
    Marc

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Pearl Harbor only has the EX flag on the French language track, and it's a mistake, as Pearl Harbor is not an EX mix.

-Lyle J.P.

11. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

12. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

That is true about the first upgrade. I forgot about that one. You don't need the newest hardware upgrade.
    Marc

13. Bruce Cadotte

Bruce Cadotte Stunt Coordinator

14. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I have read mixed reviews from people who did the upgrade. Check out the thread on Hometheaterspot.com in the onkyo forum. A mixed bag of opinions.
    Marc