Getting the Toshiba 56H80 into your home

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael De Costa, May 22, 2001.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for help from anyone who owns the Toshiba 56H80. I am about to purchase of this TV but are hesitant because I am leery that it might not be able to get into my house. I am currently renting the second floor of a 2 family, and am afraid the owner will flip if I had to take off the front door or even the screen door to get the TV in. Has anyone had any problems getting it in? I measured the width and I have 53.9 x 52.0 x 26.4. It seems like I shouldn't have a problem but wanted to check the forum first. I though about getting a cardboard cut out to simulate the process but do not know where I can find a piece large enough to make the measurements. Thank you for any help in the matter.

2. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Have no fears...if it can fit through my door...you'll have nuttin to worry about.
    I take delivery of the 56h80 tomorrow and my door way is narrow...in fact its 27" clearance and the depth of the tv is 26.4! less then a half inch on either side clearance!
    Crossing my finger and hoping it all goes well!
    Eric.
    ------------------
    Creative Audio Consultants, inc. Installs, calibrations, consultations.
    DVD List:http://www.dvdtracker.com/~EricK
    AOL IM screen name : EDKalet6

3. Sebastian_M

Sebastian_M Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    When bringing it through the door frame, I would strongly suggest taking off the door and then draping a HEAVY blanket over the set to avoid scratches and damages. To get my TW65X81 into the house I had to take off two doors and spend about an hour with the two delivery guys navigating the 400 pound beast around. One thing that some people have tried is making a styrofoam block the same size as the set and see if you can get it through, keeping in mind that the set weighs a lot more than the styrofoam.
    Good luck,
    Seb
    ------------------
    "Nothing is written." - T.E. Lawrence

4. Chytra

Chytra Auditioning

Ah, the wonders of rear projection [​IMG]

5. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Oh geez,
    I was hoping I wasnt going to have to worry about this. Im in the running for one of these sets in the next few weeks. Im even scared to think how Im going to get this around 2 quick corners into its room. I was avoiding this worry like the plague.
    Hey Mike Just out of curiosity....Where in the area are you buying from?
    -D

6. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

The reality: take lots of measurements and make a mock-up if you have to take the set down any stairs or navigate any corners.
    The 56H80 is a huge set. It came VERY close to not making it into my basement. It made its way down, after scraping the side walls (the back of the TV, not the front) and leaving two holes in the wall at the bottom of the stairs.
    Don't wait for any surprises at delivery time, do some research first.
    ____
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

7. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'd suggest building a mockup like I did. Check it out here .
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

8. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Michael:
    How about a Sony 10HT 16x9 LCD projector with DIY gray screen (easy to make and cheap)? With the 11HT's coming out soon (which from the spec. sheet pretty much looks like a 10HT with some service mode tweaks-- you can do that to the 10HT as well) the prices are coming down to about the same as one of those Toshiba 65"-ers or less. Sony may still have a $300 rebate too.
    15 pounds vs. a few hundred and tote-ability when you move. How's a 110" diagonal 16x9 screen (as one example) vs. 56" or 65" fixed sound?
    If FireWire connectors become the next thing in order to get HDTV signals (the CEA just fully supported FireWire and 5C copy protection as the standard interface), you'll have to get a new TV anyway. Might as well enjoy a huge screen while you can.
    Dan

9. Stan Zeldovich

Stan Zeldovich Auditioning

I had a guy to come in, completely disassemble my TW65X81, bring it piece by piece into my basement and assemble it back. All done in 4 hours, and you cannot tell that anything was ever done to this TV. The nice thing about Toshiba that all electronics and guns come out in one piece, which makes the process fairly simple.

10. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Jeff, Sebastian and all:
    Thanks for the advice, although I came back here too late. LOL. The set is in the house, and it narrowly made it through the door and down the steps. We had to take the wheels off at my request.....if we hadn't the TV would have never fit, but unfortunately, the frame of the set (thankfully no scratches on the glass itself) recieved 2 small scratches.
    However now everything is cool, and I had to immediately take the damn thing out of TORCH mode (Brightness was set all the way at the top!~) and then calibrated it using Video Essentials. After about 1000 hours I will have an ISF guy come around and professionally calibrate the set.
    What a beauty! I can't even get my stepdad away from the thing now...LOL.
    Eric.

11. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the advice. It seems the best bet is to have a mock TV set up out of cardboard or other material.
    Damien, I actually grew up in NM and just moved out 2 years ago so we have the same buying demographics. Crazy Eddie has the 56H80 for $2,369.95 TV Alone or $2,669.95 W/ 4 year service Plan or $2,599.95 W/ Year Service Plan. Crazy Eddie is located in Wayne I think so it's local for us too. I am just hesitant about buying from them. Who knows if they will still be in business to honor the warrantee. It's definitely by far the best price I've seen so far.

12. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi ya folks,
    Since the prices on the H80's have gone down, so have the X81s. Looks like etailers are clearing their inventory.
    The 40-65 inch Xseries sets go for cheap at OneCall .
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

13. Christian Sonntag

I'm with Dan...yet another reason to go with FP.
    [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Chris
    ------------------
    Christian A. Sonntag
    "The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

14. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I had the tremendous task of fitting a 65" Toshiba into my house. This was very difficult as it required 5 people to maneuver into the living room. We scratched a bit of the TV and a good amount of wall. Being over 400 lbs. and 60"x60"x~30" deep, it was extremely hard to get up a story and flipping over a half-wall. In retrospect, it was much easier to bring in my Sony 10HT LCD Front Projector by myself. The hard part is yet to come as we are moving later in June.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection