1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting the Panasonic DVD-RV31 Dvd Player...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Torrez, Aug 9, 2001.

1. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

I read reviews online and the reviews seem to be favorable. I have a question though, if I want to get 5.1 sound using that player in the future I am gonna need an amplifier right? Or will I not be able to get 5.1 sound at all?
    Edited to add: This is my first dvd player that I have bought for myself, so I need all the help I can get. The reason I asked about the amp is that when I read about this player it said something about it not getting 5.1 sound from the player so that's why I aksed if I can get 5.1 sound if I use an amp together with this player.
    [Edited last by John Torrez on August 09, 2001 at 05:31 PM]

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

If you just used an amplifier, probably not. But if you mean a receiver when you say "amp", and your receiver has DD/DTS decoders in it (which most modern A/V receivers do), then you will get 5.1. What the RV31 lacks (AFAIK) is an on-board DD/DTS decoder, with 6 analog outputs. This makes sense, as most people buying DVD players already have receivers which do the decoding, so there's no sense in putting a decoder on the DVD player and increasing its cost.
    Hope that helps.

3. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

Oops. I did mean to say reciever, sorry.
    ------------------
    "They're all gonna laugh at you!"