Getting the most out of my amps...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DonnyD, May 24, 2003.

1. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've been adding some amps to my system and now am just trying to make sure I get the most out of them. I am currently using a Yam RXV-1 and using the pre-outs to drive an Aragon 4004 (mains) and an Acurus 200x3 (center and surrounds), with the Yam driving only the front effect and rear center. I do dearly love the V1 and the amps have certainly added some depth and strength to my HT. I have also noticed much better imaging after adding the amps.

Question: Am I going to get THAT much better moving to a dedicated pre-pro and has anyone moved from a V1 being used as a prepro, to a pure prepro and felt it was worth the upgrade?

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

My opinion is that a dedicated 2ch preamp would bring the 2ch experience to a new level. But if you are mostyl concerned with HT than I would not bother.

As always your results may vary.

-rob

3. Lynn Little

Lynn Little Stunt Coordinator

"But if you are mostyl concerned with HT than I would not bother."

I tend to agree.

4. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

If you want to take your system to the next level of performance. You may want to look at a few things.

1. Cable and power management.
    Do you have a dedicated circuit for your system?
    Do you use power or line conditioners?
    Are your cables placed to keep interference out of your system?

2. Changing out your power cords.
    There are many alternative power cords that can help improve a system. You can spend a lot of money on PCs or shop the used market. Many believe changing power cords will not change how a system sounds. I'm not one of those people. I've tried many things in my system over the years. Some help some don't. It's a trial and error effort. A local shop with experienced people who have been in the business for some time can be a great help.

3. Interconnects can do great things to help a system. I try and use my best interconnects for my main stereo amps and source equipment. I've tried many many different interconnects over the years and what works on one system may not work on another setup. But, good cables are important IMO.

Getting good equipment is just a start. Getting the most out of it. Is an endless pursuit.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

My personal experience on this is a little slim but Robert George(a skeptic towards these things) upgraded his Pioneer 49tx to the Anthem AVM30 and noticed a huge upgrade in the home theater realm.

Best thing to do is try to run an in-home comparison and decide for yourself. There will always be alot of big ifs until you decide for yourself what't best.