What's new

Getting the most out of an inexpensive projector (1 Viewer)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
I posted this in a different area on the forum, but after hitting post, I remembered there is a projector area. . . here it is:

I have been around this forum for a short time, but have had the HT bug for as long as I can remember. Over the past few months I have completed my "entry level" HT set up in our bonus room(not yet dedicate exclusively to HT). If I had a Web site/dig. camera, I would show you, but those are not priorities right now.

This is the equipment that I have:

Newcastle 956 receiver ( 6.1,120 watts/per)

JVC 45 DVD (not progressive)

JVC vcr

Panny 32" 4:3 tv

Epson 710e projector

cheep pull down screen

Older speakers that I am very happy with (no sub yet, but will be building a DIY soon)

I built an in-wall e-center for the equipment and TV, and a 'valance' to house the pull-down screen which can accomodate a 96" screen, but I have started out with a generic pull down that is 60" wide that you can pick up at many office supply stores.

I am using the Epson only on special occasions when we really want the full movie experience (2-3 times a week). I am using a 30 foot S-video cable to run to the projector, which sits on the coffee table when in use(The fan is a bit loud sitting there). I may build a ceiling mount for it, but positioning is difficult because a ceiling fan is right where it would need to be with a 60" screen.

Okay, on with the question. . .Am I starting out in the right direction, or am I just kidding myself? How can I get the most out of what I have put together. Affordability, ease of use, and top performance with what I have are my goals.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks . . . .

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm not sure what you're asking? Do you have a budget for improvements or are you just talking about "tweaking" what you already have..?
BTW, you are into HT so you are going in the right direction... :)

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Michael:

I guess that I am look for any tweeks that will help improve what I have currently.

I don't believe that the epson can accept component inputs(Its got composite, S, and a 15 pin computer display plug). If it can, I would need some type of addaptor.

Any overall suggestions . . .

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
You could get a Component to RGB transcoder but that would cost you about $200.00 USD with minimal results.. You could build a screen with a little more gain if you have the room to keep it in one place. (Not a pull down screen..)

If you have a PC @ home you could try a HTPC setup... or you could try and get your hands on an old line doubler, they can be a pretty good bang for the buck!

Any ideas anyone?

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Tell me more about a line doubler. . .

Would it work if I don't send a progressive signal?

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You should get the AVIA or Video Essentials test disk to set the gray scale that highlights are not washed out, shadows are not buried, and colors are as correct as possible.
You don't need a doubler quite yet, unless you get envious of videophiles who have one. (A typical doubler takes in only interlaced video including S-video, and delivers only 480p progressive scan which is usually component video but some also deliver RGB that equates to regular PC VGA (640 x 480 x 60 fps non-interlaced).
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I made the best investment that I could have ever made in improving the picture quality of my projector. I got a DVDO iScan plus line doubler and the difference in picture quality is like night and day.

Matt Krapf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I've heard a lot about the DVDO, and it seems promising.

Let me give you a real-world(did it last week) option.

get Toshiba's new $189 prog-scan DVD player.

Add either Component to 15-pin adaper(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks