What's new

Getting the Denon 3802,,,,,,,,,,,,Who on the Internet has a great track record?? (1 Viewer)

Wally Lee

Grip
What do the sages of HomeTheaterForum.com say about the Denon 3802 and purchasing it online?
Are there many AUTHORIZED Denon dealers online???
Thanks Guys!!!!
------------------
Wally Lee
"Man o' Man with this DTS stuff, I hear things I never heard before!"

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I purchased my Denon 4800 last year from Sound Distributors . They are not an authorized Denon dealer (I'm not sure if there are any on the web) but they will handle any warranty work that needs to be done. They have the Denon 3802 for $895 and will also match any advertised price. Check the feedback for them on AV Survey, Bizrate, etc. and you'll see that it's outstanding. My experience with them was great and I will definitely order from them again.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
www.audioexcellence.com is showing it for $802.88. I've never dealt with these people but I haven't read anything negative about them and they may be authorized, though you'd need to check that out for yourself.

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I have heard numerous good reports on Sound Distributors mentioned above.
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Wally Lee

Grip
Thanks for the help!
Any more options????
------------------
Wally Lee

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Wally,
What are your local options?
Don't mean to be the devil's advocate, but these guys are NOT authorized Denon dealers. If they aren't around in a year (as a lot of dot coms) who will you send your unit to?
IMO, if it's a matter of a hundred or two, the peace of mind gained is well worth it....buying from a local B&M.
If you print out their prices (On-line merchants) and show the B&M, maybe they'll give you a bit more of a deal.
Jeremy

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Wally,
I'd have to agree with Jeremy. I too was interested in the 3802, but heard that Denon doesn't honor the warranty unless it's from an authorized dealer. When I checked out Denon's site to verify this, I believe it listed only 3 or 4 sites that were authorized dealers (GoodGuys.com Tweeter/Outpost.com etc.). When I checked out the price for the unit on each site, they all had it listed for over $1000 (one had it listed as $1195 or something). You can find it all over the Internet for well under $1000, usually in the $800-$900 range, but what happens if something goes wrong? Personally, if I spent close to $1000, I'd want to know that I had a storefront close by in case it needed repairs.
I would like to hear from some owners of this receiver as I too am looking to upgrade in the near future. I bet that DTS-ES Discrete sounds amazing!
Good luck,
Ron

John Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Wally,
Without any hesitation whatsoever, I highly recommend Yawa Audio in California. They have a website and yes, they are indeed an authorized Denon internet dealer...possibly one of few as far as I can tell (but this is merely a guess on my part). The guy who I dealt with on an ongoing basis was Bill and he was extremely helpful with any questions I had and very pleasant/courteous to deal with. I would recommend them to anyone.
In case you're wondering, I bought much of my home theatre system from them...all NHT speakers (including subwoofer) and the venerable Denon AVR 3300 receiver. I'm sure you're wondering...yeah, but how competitive are their prices? While I won't go so far as to say their prices are the rock bottom lowest, I will say that their prices are very competitive...I believe the fact that they are an authorized Denon internet dealer more than makes up for the fact that they may not have the absolute lowest prices around. It was obvious to me that (at least) Bill is a true audio/video geek like the rest of us. Check 'em out...I think you'll be impressed.
John

TomH

Second Unit
Check out Moreaudiovideo.comreliableaudiovideo.comworld-exchange.com. Chances are that local "authorized" dealers will try to charge close to list. Web prices are around $800.00. Generally Denon equipment is extremely reliable.
As for the warranty issue, note that the Denon site says that the warranty MAY not be valid. Every time this question surfaces there are as many posts saying that legally Denon must honor warranty for all US sales (non grey market) as there are that say that warranty is only valid if you purchase from "authorized" dealers. I would love to see an official legal opinion on this.
Tom

TomH

Second Unit
Has anyone had warranty service performed on a product from a manufacturer claiming that the warranty is only valid from "authorized" dealers even though it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer?
Tom

J

John Morris

quote: Has anyone had warranty service performed on a product from a manufacturer claiming that the warranty is only valid from "authorized" dealers even though it was purchased from an unauthorized dealer?[/quote]
I've done it three times now. The units repaired under warrenty were a Parasound 2200II, a Panasonic A310 and a Denon DVM-3700. None of these were repaired according to the company's published warranty policy. The Parasound was purchased used, but I called (and documented my call) Parasound and asked them about the warrenty BEFORE I bought the amp. The Panasonic A310 was purchased as a no box, customer return closeout from CC for only $150. I just had it repaired free of charge this past week after owning it for more than 3 years. Finally, the Denon DVM-3700 was a brand new unit purchased from Ubid (not listed as an authorized dealer). The lady at Denon whom I dealt with asked for a receipt, but I told her I had purchased the unit almost a year earlier and didn't have it. I told her to please look up the serial number, she did and said that the manufacture date was less than a year old, so she Okayed the repair. End of Story... Recently, one of my 7 year old Panamax 1000 surge protectors failed. I called Panamax and to my suprise I was told to just send it on in and they'd replace it with a brand new Panamax 1000+. They said that the 1000 came with a lifetime warranty... WOW!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on August 10, 2001 at 06:47 AM]

Nick P

Second Unit
This is what is written in the Denon Limited Warranty. "The following are not covered by the warranty: (1) Any product which is not distributed in the USA by Denon Electronics (2) Any product which is not purchased in the USA from an authorized Denon dealer, unless the product is purchased through the USA Military Exchange Service where the warranty will be one year for all products listed above...". Looks like the no receipt method worked for John though. Hope this helps.
------------------

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I looked at the Yawa Online website because I thought that they were an authorized Denon dealer. Their website says that they are authorized for everything that they sell but I find it odd that they don't have a single piece of Denon equipment listed on their web site. Nothing against Yawa (they have a great reputation) but I'm not so sure that they are any different than a lot of these other online merchants when it comes to Denon. Has anyone had a piece of Denon equipment serviced that was purchased through Yawa? Just curious.

Mike Sheahan

Stunt Coordinator
I bought mine from moreaudiovideo.com last Wednesday, and it arrived this Tuesday.
My only complaint is that it wasn't double boxed. I even purchased an optical cable figuring they would put them both in a bigger box filled with shipping peanuts or something, but they just shipped them separate.
The unit works flawlessly, it sounds awesome, I only paid $799, and no sales tax!
If I would ever even need to get warranty service done, and Denon chose to not stand behind their product, I would just take them to small claims court.
By the way, I looked locally first, but none of my local dealers had the unit, and they weren't expecting to get it in for a few weeks.
I did buy $1500 worth of new speakers locally last week as well.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Buying online may make sense, if you can't find it locally. But be sure to avoid AMDV.com and discounts-n-deals.com
------------------
SAM

Reza_A

Grip
Samuel,
What is wrong with AMDV.com? Is there any problem with the products they sell or more on the customer service? It seems they have a good relative cheap price.
thanks

Wally Lee

Grip
Great info guys!!!!
Bumping the topic for more info!!!
------------------
Wally Lee

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
If anyone is interested in soon-to-be-replaced Denon models, I'd suggest checking with your local dealers for closeout prices. I picked up a brand new 1801 for $299.00. How could I resist that!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks