Getting the big screen up the stairs

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JustinABOOK, Feb 15, 2004.

1. JustinABOOK

JustinABOOK Auditioning

I just bought a 64" rear projection TV. It weighs 300lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on methods or products that might help me get this thing up two flights of stairs and into my family room? Thanks.

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

I recently helped a friend move a 52" screen up a couple flights of stairs, needless to say it was a pain in the arse, and took 4 of us to do it. hopefully your staircase isnt to narrow so you can get some buds up there with you it makes it a little easier. we tried using one of those dollies with big wheels and a strap on it, normally used for moving refridgerators and such, seemed to help a little bit. be careful and dont be in a hurry to get it up there.

3. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

When my 53" was delivered it had to come up 2 flights of stairs. The delivery guys took it out of the box and used heavy nylon straps to lift it. Basically, 1 guy at each end of the TV with a strap running under the bottom of the tv. Using the straps means no one has to bend over to grab the bottom of the TV. Makes lifting easier and less dangerous. The strap method is less stable though so it is a good idea to have a 3rd person keeping the TV from swaying/tilting.

4. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to have the same problem at the end of the month. i'm moving my toshi 57" up to the gameroom. What fun it is going to be. Thank god my brother inlaw does this stuff for a living. So we should have little edge. [​IMG] Good luck

5. Dennis Gonzales

Use an "aplliance dolly" ,this is the one with a belt, small wheels, and a tread so you can drag it up stairs. Like Mike was saying..

6. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Return it and buy a six pound front projector for half the price[​IMG]

7. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

HEY!!
    I got slammed for thread farting before! Where's the moderators here?!?!?

8. Dustin Harrison

Dustin Harrison Stunt Coordinator

Sadly I don't think there is going to be a magical answer here.

I had the same problem moving my JVC 65" RPTV up a flight of stairs with a corner. The best advise I can give is make sure you have at least four people to help you, one on each corner of the unit. Also, attach some cardboard to at least the front to keep the possibility of scratching the screen down to a minimum.

Cheers [​IMG]

9. mark alan

Sorry:b

I just know that after buying a projector, I will never go back to the damn big boxes. I may even sell my 36" tv (only 150 lbs) with my house when I sell the house.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Return it and buy a 250lb CRT FP [​IMG]

[​IMG].

11. mark alan

now that is a thread fart!!!

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Never have truer words been spoken though...

13. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I would call piano movers to get it upstairs. That is the best way to go because what if one of your friends loses their grip and the TV happens to fall, do you expect them to pay the damages? Or injure themselves?

Hire professional movers.

14. GeraldK

GeraldK Agent

Depending on the make/model, some can be broken down into two pieces, such as our Mitsu 65" RPTV. You might want to email/call the manufacturer. No need to suffer any more than you have to when trying to lug that thing up a flight of stairs.

15. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Yes, professional movers seem to be the proper way to get this task done. If you have the money, pay someone to get it up there. In this case, you will be covered if something happens to the tv. I would hate to almost get it up there and something happen. Everything just seems to always go wrong at the last second when I move things, such as my big nice new entertainment center that fell off the back off my truck 1 mile from my new house not to long ago. One of the backing pieces came off and the whole top collapsed and fell into the road.

So if you do not want anything to happen that you will be liable for, call some movers in. It could save you in the end. To me it is not worth the risk to do something like this myself with some friends.

16. Todd^B

Todd^B Stunt Coordinator

I have an appliance dolley. They work OK, but for a large object like a 65" TV. I wouldn't even bother. You would have to lean it so far back to keep it from wanting to lay flat down again.

I would just get a bunch of guys to help manuever it up the stairs. The straps under the Tv sounds like a great idea.

If you need help moving you RPT, I'm kinda busy that day. Good luck anyway. [​IMG]

17. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Justin,
    I just went through the same situation three weeks ago with the purchase of my new Sony KP57WS510. That is why when I bought it I nogotiated in the delivery for free.
    My back happily agreed with that decision.
    I don't know if that is still a possiblity for you.
    Remember, if you move it and it gets damaged, it's your responsibilty. If they move it and it gets damaged, it's their responsibilty. The liabilty/cost delta is huge when you consider your investment.

That's my two cents.

Good Luck, Al. Wise