What's new

Getting the Best Sound from Your Room (1 Viewer)

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
I was just recently in another thread that brought up a neat tip from Robert Harley's book, "The Complete Guide to High End Audio" about setting the phase of one's subwoofer to best match the loudspeakers' phase in the room that you have. Before all components discussed in this book, he first addresses various means by which one can obtain the best sound from one's room. Loudspeaker placement (i.e. proximity to walls, toe-in, etc.), listening position, common room problems and how to fix them with absorption panels are just a few of the items mentioned in this chapter. I would like to hear the experiences of people that have spent the hours of time "getting the best sound from your room". Basically what you have done, and how did it affect your listening experience?

Jeff_M

Stunt Coordinator
I recently moved my system to the basement, which is solid concrete and wood, with no furnishings. After putting in couches and a couple throw rugs, some of the echo was gone but the room was still too "lively" and the sound of my speakers (which have metal tweeters) was painfully bright. I constructed a makeshift accoustic panel/ceiling out of fiberglass 4X8 sheets covered with polyfill and wrapped with fabric. A couple of those on the ceiling and one on the wall made a world of difference. Now I get all of the detail of my speakers, without the brightness. A good test of room liveliness is to clap your hands and listen for an echo. Echo is almost gone from my room!

I moved into a loft/condo in San Francisco a couple of months ago and am just now starting to get my audio system set up. The place is about 15' wide, 40' long, and has 18' ceilings. It's basically one big room, with an upper mezzanine that extends about half way across the length of the room. Here's the real kicker, though. The entire place is made of solid, 12" thick concrete. The only things that help this a little are that one wall is covered in drywall, the floor is hardwood, and the end wall is actually all windows. Needless to say, it should be quite a challenge to get this place to sound good. Perhaps, I too, should get this book for some helpful hints!! The upside is that there is a foot of concrete between myself and any of my neighbors. Hopefully, noise won't be a problem (for them). :D

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Tim,
Might I suggest Full drapes to cover that window? ;)
Honestly, that's about the only thing I can think other than a nice deep throw rug that would help you stave off the echos in that place. Sounds like a real nice Studio though!

Joe,

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually already working on some full length drapes just as you suggested. Should help to tone down any sound issues as well as keep out the light when I want to watch a movie. We'll see!! Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks