Getting static electrical bursts when turning TV on

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RayKk, Jun 26, 2002.

1. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Im getting static electricity when I turn on my TV a Sony 36" XBR 450 if it makes any difference, will this static lightening bolts ruin my TV eventually and is there something I can ground or what ever to stop this your input will be appreciated

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Ray,

Is this a sort of crackling noise when the set lights up, or a click from the set just as the picture appears?

I've had several 27-35 inch direct views that all had one or both of these characteristics, and my current 57" Sony widescreen does it a little too. Never had a problem related to it except that dust seems to be attracted to the direct views so the screen needs relatively frequent cleaning.

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Some crackling or a "fssst" when you power up the set is normal, as the CRT(s) are getting charged to the tune of 20,000+ volts. Unless you see sparks or are getting a shock when you touch the set, there should be nothing to be concerned about.

Some crackling after the set is turned off is normal too, as the CRTs are grounded out and slowly discharge.

KJP

4. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Also, Sony TVs actually degauss themselves every time you turn them on, making a fairly loud "frowwmn" sound that, to many people, sounds like soemthing wrong with the set. This, along with the tube getting 'charged up" may be what you are experiencing.

5. RayKk

RayKk Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the replys, degauss is what its doing and I should have known better as Im a computer hardware guy, the home theater stuff is all new to me and I should apply some of the stuff I know about computer hardware.
    Thanks all

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ray: I just moved your same post over in "A/V Sources" to here, and see that you reposted the same topic. In the future, please wait for the post to be moved. Since this one is already happening, I will delete the earlier thread. Thanks. JB