What's new

Getting Started (1 Viewer)

Dan_Mc

Auditioning
I am just trying to get started with home theater. I have some old (but low mileage) Altec Lansing speakers (Model 5, Series II). Might these be suitable as front speakers to which I could add a center & 2 rear speakers and a subwoofer? Must the power handling of the satellites equal or exceed the power output of the receiver? Thanks for any advice.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dan - Welcome to the forum.

They'd be fine, I'm sure. I don't know much about Altec off the top of my head, but if they are speakers, they'll work.

When you buy a center, try to look at the matching mains for down the road and base your selection on the set. You will want to get as close as possible to the same 3 across the front. Surrounds of the same make and model are ideal, but not often possible. Subs need not be from the same line at all.

Speakers need clean power, so if you can, have more on tap than the speaker is 'rated' for. But in real world situations, don't worry about power ratings at all.

Good Luck!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
since it sounds like your altec's are older, it may be difficult to find a matching center speaker. that may (or may not) be important to you, but the concept of "timbre matching" is pretty important.
you want to ensure that all the speakers sound the same...especially for your fronts. otherwise, that motorcycle sound in your left channel will turn into a moped when it reaches your center, then back to a motorcycle when it gets to your right speaker.
it sounds like you do want to keep the altec's, so i suppose you'll have to find a balance that suits you. i don't mean to rain on your parade, just want to give you something else to think about. :)
as far as power capacity goes, just realize that most speakers are damaged by too little power, not too much power. if you blow your tweeter, then you underpowered the speaker. blow the woofer and that's something you can brag to your friends about! :D

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dan,
It will be hard to find a matching center for those speakers. You could use those as rear surrounds and purchase new LCRs (left, center, right) speakers. Check out the FAQ as well!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Doesn't Altec Lansing make only computer speakers? I don't see them as a regular brand listing for home theater speakers in retail chains.

Blake R

Stunt Coordinator
Altec has been making PA systems for decades. Their large PA "cubes" were popular with a lot of rock bands in the 70's. I own a pair of indoor/outdoor Altec bookshelf speakers that sound so good I can't believe I only paid $40 for the pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks