Getting Sound To A Cassette Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Johnny_T, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Johnny_T

Johnny_T Auditioning

This may be a simple question but I'm stumped.

I need to know:

How can I record the sound from any of my devices -laserdisc,dvd,tv, stereo,etc. to a cassette player?

Don't I have to buy a cassette player with audio input?

I have a SONY STR-DE875 receiver, so I have plenty of inputs/outputs.

Thanks in Advance

John

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Any standard cassette deck will have RCA in/out jacks for connection to a receiver. Simply connect the deck to your receiver's tape loop (this will require two sets of RCA audio cables) and you should be able to record from any playback source connected to the receiver.

Keep in mind also that if you wish to record from sources that you would normally use digital audio connections for (such as DVD), you'll also need to run analog audio for those components as well (in recording, digital signals are incompatible with analog signals).

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Nicholas hit it right on the head. You need to have those digital sources utilizing the analog input on the receiver.

4. Johnny_T

Johnny_T Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't have a tape deck so I'll have to get one.

The only cassette players I have are boom boxes and none of these have audio inputs.

Any suggestions on the best tape decks out there?

Thanks Again

John

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ahh.. Casette decks.. A rare subject on the HTF! I have a couple SONY decks and I'm pretty happy with them, though they get used rarely. If you're looking to make tapes to be played on boomboxes and/or in cars, then don't sweat the "absolute best quality". Any good deck will do. Single well tape decks almost always are significantly superior to dual well decks. Unfortunately they tend to be more expensive also.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

about 4 years ago i picked up a kenwood tape deck for about 150ish. it is a dual-deck model with dolby b & c. i actually gave it to my brother-in-law about two years ago...he still uses it quite a bit. afaik, it still works fine. i see it powered-up at his home all the time. i think he dubs his music to a digital format with it.

it couldn't stand up to my nakamichi deck, but that's apples and oranges.

i'm sure you can find a similarily priced deck these days at cc or gg.

if you don't care about dubbing from deck to deck, definitely try to get a single-deck model. i think onkyo makes one that i really used to like.

also, although auto-reverse is a well-liked feature, it can cause azimuth problems, so don't get it unless you really neeed to. my nakamichi's auto-reverse is pretty cool, it does this thing where it ejects the tape, then rotates it 180-degrees. so...no azimuth problems.

of course, i can't remember when's the last time i recorded something onto cassette...

7. ColinW

ColinW Agent

Definately go with a single well model. If you can find a 3 head model go for that so that you have seperate heads for paying and recording. You will get a better recording every time.

I have a couple of TEAC v1050's which are 3 head single well decks. I am actually looking to unload one if you want it.

Colin