1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Sony 60 inch LCD Projection TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dan Mertz, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Dan Mertz

Dan Mertz Stunt Coordinator

My wife just won an "LCD Projection" TV in a fantasy football contest, but I know nothing about these new big screen TVs. I probably won't receive it for a couple weeks, but all I know right now is its a "Sony 60 inch LCD Projection TV" with 3.28 million dots of resolution, Twin View Picture in Picture, Memory Stick Playback, WEGA Engine, HDTV Receiver, and its supposedly valued at $4,500. Looking on Amazon I'm assuming its a "SONY KDF60XBR950" or similar.

I don't know the difference between Plasma or LCD, and I don't know what a "projection" TV is. Are those the type that are hard to see when you're viewing it from an angle? I already have a Yamaha receiver and some surround sound speakers, so I'm excited to add this TV to my theater system. But can anyone explain what type of TV I'm getting and what type of accessories I might need to go with it?

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Projection TVs have actually gotten pretty good as far as the horizontal viewing angle, you shouldn't have a problem unless you want to have seating at an extreme angle to the side. Picture brightness drops off pretty fast on the vertical however. You pretty much want to be at eye level with the screen when viewing. If you stand up and sit back down you'll notice a big difference.

Flat panel TVs, plasma and LCD, are very much different from an LCD projection TV. I'm guessing your set will be around 16"-18" deep and weigh a 100 lbs or so. This is in contrast to a flat panel plasma/LCD which are usually around 4" deep. A rear projection TV actually displays the image by shining light on the screen from behind.

Most TVs come with the contrast/brightness/sharpness set too high at the factory. You'll probably notice an improvement in image quality by turning down the controls in these areas. If you have a movie/theater mode in the TV menu, try selecting it and see how the image looks.

The rule generally is that Hi-Def channels and DVDs will look great, but the set will really show up any poor quality signals on regular TV channels.

Sounds like you have a very nice set, you should get years of enjoyment out of it.

3. Dan Mertz

I'm going to go to some stores and see what this type of TV actually looks like. Considering I'll have to pay about $1,000 in taxes on this prize (which I can't really afford) I might consider selling it.

It would be nice to have, and paying the $1,000 is a good deal for a TV thats valued at $4,500 but I'd almost rather sell it and have a couple thousand dollars cash (after paying the tax) and maybe buy a cheaper big screen in a couple years.

4. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Dan,

The model number you posted is for a set that was discontinued almost a year ago, so might be wrong. The current 60" Sony LCD is the A20 series and has a street price of around $3200, but has no pip. They do make a current 60" model whose suggested retail was just dropped to $4500--it's the 60" SXRD set, which uses LCOS chips to produce a 1080p picture and is regarded as about the best rptv in existence right now, a definite keeper.

I'd wait and find out what the actual model number is before selling this.

5. Dan Mertz

I'm not sure of the exact model I'll be getting...the description on the website I won it from is vague and it was posted there at the start of the football season. The model # I mentioned is just one I found on Amazon that appeared to have similar features.

I will definitly wait to see which model I get. Selling it is just one option, but I'm not sure yet. The place I currently live doesn't have a whole lot of room for a TV that large but I might keep it anyway. Selling something that expensive and that size on my own won't be that easy.

How long is the warranty on a set like this?