What's new

Getting set up with a Projector (1 Viewer)

EvileDNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Edna
Hi all,
I'm looking at a short throw projector for my lounge.

My current set up:
- flat screen telly
- media pc I built
- streaming from the media storage pc across LAN
- SKY tv
- Sound bar
- light pc gaming

I am looking to ceiling mount my projector and am wondering how to get set up without cables running up walls and along the ceiling.

I have an idea which projector I need but wonder if I need things like bluetooth and HDMI wireless.

The essentials are inputting Sky and the media pc and taking sound to the soundbar.

Thanks in advance folks

Alisdair

EvileDNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Edna
schan1269 said:
So...how are you wiring power to the projector?
Well, call me crazy but I thought about using the power for the light fitting. We never use it anyway.

EvileDNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Edna
OK, the set up I have in mind is this (I'm asking as this is a little trick and may result in ongoing glitches)
- ceiling mounted short throw projector with power source from light socket
- hdmi wireless on the projector for sky input
- old smartphone with MHL and BT keyboard as pc/media streaming from lan pc with media stored on it. It's basically tiny and can run out of sight.
- THIS IS THE PROBLEM...how do I get an audio out without cables trailing and bluetooth sync problems from broadcasting BT from phone to soundbar
- OTHER PROBLEM ....getting the sound from Sky tv to the soundbar without cables trailing

I have thought about getting a chromebox OR Chromecast but don't fully understand it yet. With a Chromebox I'd just install Ubuntu and run it like a tiny windows pc.

Any further suggestions to reduce complications and cabling????

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
First...Video to the projector and audio to the soundbar are separate issues(cause audio doesn't go to projectors...even if said projector has audio, don't send it there)Second...If you bought the right soundbar it has digital coax/toslink/bluetooth.Third...Does your old smart phone have Bluetooth?Basically...treating audio and video as separate entities greatly simplifies this.

EvileDNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Edna
schan1269 said:
First...

I had thought of this already as I'd rather send the sound directly from ubit to soundbar but not sure how to sepatate the sound using and hdmi wireless device for the sky.
Can it be done?

Video to the projector and audio to the soundbar are separate issues(cause audio doesn't go to projectors...even if said projector has audio, don't send it there)
Second...

If you bought the right soundbar it has digital coax/toslink/bluetooth.

Yes it's a recent Samsung soundbar. it has bt and other inputs

Third...

Does your old smart phone have Bluetooth?
Yes it does....it's an HTC M7.. I have tested the MHL with my M* and it works like a dream(only teething probs with internet browsing)

Basically...treating audio and video as separate entities greatly simplifies this.

How do I separate the audio in each case and keep the audio and video synced?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For your Sky box..Depends what it allows. Over here in the US, many STB(term for cable box) kill the other outputs when HDMI is enabled.Figure that out first.If HDMI is the only thing that works...Get a HDMI switch that provides analog or a secondary digital audio.Now...whether your Sky STB cooperates here...the next part is the same. Either with the STB directly...or fed into a switch(which if you get a switch, put your phone on it so you combine sources to one feed).Buy an analog* to Bluetooth adapter**. Pair that adapter to your soundbar.Yes those are the hoops.*If you can't find a HDMI switch with analog, get an additional digital/analog adapter.** and this depends if your soundbar can confirm a bluetooth connection. If it can't, replace it with one that can. You are the one wanting everything wireless.I almost forgot. Syncing audio and video with all this going...Good luck. Wish you well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah. Almost forgot these existed, cause they suck. But hey, soundbars aren't stellar...RF audio extension kits. Look up the Rocketfish RBAUX. It is discontinued, but shows you what they are.With a soundbar you may not notice all the RF noise.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah. All this stuff plugs into the wall.Worst case...Hdmi switchRF extender(one on each end) or bluetooth adapterPossible digital analog adapterThat is 4-6 extra things plugging into the wall.

EvileDNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Edna
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-Audio-Extractor-Splitter-Converter-Digital-HDMI-to-HDMI-Audio-adapter-1-2-/261682769401?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3ced822df9

this little bit of low cost kit will help me along I think. It splits hdmi audio out to spdif.

so, the sky audio can go to this box. then i can take the hdmi wireless dongle from this box to the projector. I can take the spdif straight to the soundbar. hopefully with minimal delay BUT if there is any I can delay the audio on the settings on the soundbar.

This solves a problem.

ANother way to get sky up ther is to stream it on the HTC M7 using the Sky app and we can put the box in the bedroom.

This would be preferrable as if I only have one HDMI wireless kit with the projector I'd rather use it on the media centre I built. Then I get everything from one source without issues. it's easier to manage the sound output from a pc too. I can take that from spdif.

This all means no extra plugging. The hdmi splitter is a usb powered item.

I'm still keen to hear alternatives though. THis is a work in progress and may not actually work.

Thanks so far boys

EvileDNA

Auditioning
Real Name
Edna

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks