What's new

Getting screwed by an eBay seller, what to do? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I bought a lens from a guy on eBay, and I believe he misrepresented the item. He said the lens was functional, but it fails to mount on my Nikon body, or any other Nikon body I've tried. I realize I wasn't getting a lens in perfect condition, but not even being able to mount the lens does not mean functional in my estimation.

So, I write him, and he says that he specified the lens mount was tight (he didn't), and that it worked when he sent it to me. He says no returns, which was also not listed in his auction.

I suppose it's my fault for not inquiring more before bidding, but he misrepresented his item, and I'm not going to swallow a $400 paperweight. What are my options? I paid with a Visa card via Paypal. Thanks everyone.

CJ

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Make sure you get a printout of the eBay page before it goes away.
Leave negative feedback.
Dispute the charge with Visa and use eBay resolution center.

I would agree with you that if the add says "functional" it should be able to be mounted on a Nikon camera.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
His auction description is very contradictory. He does state it is "functional" but then also says it may need "minor or major to repair" and adds that it is being sold "as-is for parts".

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
True. Even if the item needed repair (which I factored into my bid), the inclusion of the word "functional" can only mean one thing.

I don't want to leave negative feedback, because he could just give it back to me. There is Paypal resolution center as well, has anyone used these dispute resolution services before? Would I be better off disputing it with my credit card and forgetting about these resolution services?

CJ

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Fortunately I've never had to use any resolution services. So I'm just guessing, but maybe go with PayPal first, then if that fails go to your credit card issuer.

As for negative feedback, can he even leave you negative feedback? Didn't Ebay recently change their policy where sellers can only leave positive feedback or none at all?

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
That sounds familiar now that you mention it. I don't do a ton of stuff on eBay, but it's interesting for my situation.

CJ

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I used the PayPal resolution process one time and got all my money back eventually. But this was on an item that I didn't receive at all. I don't know how it would work in your situation.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Have you thought about taking the lens to a reputable camera store to get their opinion on its condition? At the very least you'd have a professional opinion as to its functionality or lack there of.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
My opinion is that you should have asked questions before bidding and that you're not getting "screwed". I really can't see where the item is misrepresented. You emphasize on the word "functional" whereas you should have focused on the phrases "minor or major to repair" and "as-is for parts". You bid on something that clearly was faulty. You got what you should have expected to get - I would have given this auction a pass just based on this unless that's what I was looking for. I'm sorry, you were not being very smart here.

If you dispute this directly with your credit card company to get this charge reversed, Paypal is not going to like you and will probably suspend your account.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I disagree that the item wasn't misrepresented, the seller said it was functional and then went on to say it wasn't. The seller was less than truthful.

Having said that, I agree there were red flags on this item that should have warned any buyer away. There's a seller mis-representing the item and then it's also defective. You should never have bid on it.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
An SLR lens can only be proven functional if it is mounted to and SLR. Funtional never means "well I can turn both barrel's so I deem it functional"

"performing or capable of performing; "in running (or working) order"; "a functional set of brakes""

You wouldn't just look at brakes on a car and say they work would you??

Clearly misrepresented the item IMO!

Brent

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I used eBay's dispute console exactly one time and it did absolutely nothing for me. I paid $60 with a money order and never got the item, so I opened a dispute. If eBay did anything behind the scenes, I never even saw their involvement. I certainly never got my money back.

The guy was apparently raising Christmas money by "selling" items he never intended to send. Every single person he dealt with in December left him negative feedback, including myself. It was the only time I've left negative, and I was able to do so with impunity since he left positive immediately.

eBay might have done something about all the complaints, because he was quickly listed as "no longer a registered user." Either that, or he got his bread so he split. In any case, I think I would go PayPal in the future, since they have a better record of getting your money back in a case like this. I don't know how they handle it when you actually get an unsatisfactory item, though.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

On the other hand, if it did mount properly, why would the seller have needed to mention "as-is for parts" and "minor or major repair"? He said the glass was okay, so that leaves only a couple of things (such as the mount) that would require him to put those cautionary words in.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but "functional" could mean it works if you manually hold it (tape it?) to the camera body.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
It's obvious NOW that I should have not bid on the item. Nowhere did he say the lens would not even mount on a camera, even though he claims "it worked before I sent it to you". I may have not used my best judgment on this one, but there were about 10 other bidders, certainly they felt the same way. In perfect condition, this lens sells for $1,100. I'm not expecting miracles with a lens that I saved a significant amount of money on, but I expect it to WORK. The seller with perfect feedback told me it would.

CJ

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

From your posting history, I'm guessing you're not nerdy enough to have dealt with the same guy. He ripped people off for lightsabers and comic books. :)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When it comes to eBay, you have to be careful. Personally, I wouldn't have touched that lens with a ten foot cattle prod. Maybe if it sold for $50, and with the anticipation it would be a loss. People try to put a spin on questionable items they sell, but you have a responsibility to yourself to pay attention to the "sold as-is for parts" and that it may need "major" repair. There are red flags all over that one. In my humble opinion, you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself. Doesn't make the seller right, but it's your money and there were many warning signs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks