Getting RPTV, am I ok??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Dash, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Craig Dash

Craig Dash Auditioning

Finished my basement and have a large space for a large screen TV. Was planning on going 16:9, HDTV, 47" or 53". Was also looking at the Panny 53wx52 or 47wx52. I don't know what, but something about them catches my eye. Price seems good too.

I am buying it mainly for the DVD experience and HDTV (when the costs of the recievers drops). For now, I will be watching Direct TV (non-HD box) and DVD's.

BUT, studying here and thus, finding the Panny TV site, has got me scared. All the fixes, adjustments and calibrations have me a tad bit worried/overwhelmed. I expected the color and convergence adjustments, but I thought this was all a TV menu driven adjustment, TV telling me what to do. I read about the HTTU and AVIA dvd's and that doesn't sound too bad. But the Red Push, e focus, m focus and other internal stuff worries me (not that I fully understand what all of those are). Now I know the Panny site would make it seem like Panny's are bad, since it's only Panny TV's, but am I just getting scared from information overload?? Is owning a RPTV as difficult as all the reading makes it sound?

For my actual question: Are the Panny's I listed above pretty good and reliable? I assume that all the fixes may not be necessary (depending on how picky I am). Should I go ahead and buy and enjoy, or would I be better off to consider other brands (and which ones)?

Thanks for the help. The wealth of information here amazes me!!!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The fixes and tweaks that you read about take an already decent image and make it very good to excellent.

What are you willing to do to get that last ounce of performance? Well, it is all there.

Think of it as the same as getting a stock car off any dealer lot. It runs good ... but put it up next to a guy who tweaked his car a bit and his car performs better.

Out of the box, the new pannys are pretty decent and about par with the other brands out there now. Last year they were really bad looking OOTB.

Regards

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    One thing though before you buy. Those Panny's do not come w/ DVI/HDCP input while the ones coming out this summer(?) are expected to. If you can wait and don't expect to upgrade for a very long time, it's probably good to wait OR go w/ another brand that has DVI/HDCP input.

I bought the Panny 53" recently and love it, but I also expect to upgrade maybe 5 years or so from now when all the dust has settled and HD-DVD and 1080p plasma's or the like become an affordable reality.

_Man_

4. Tappan

Tappan Auditioning

Craig,

i would look a Hitachi either the swx series or the uwx series, they both support dvi and look the best in my opinion. hope this helped.