Getting rid of VHS tapes?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Anyone else have any good ideas for getting rid of old VHS tapes? I'm looking to get rid of most of what's left of my collection, but I'd really rather not just toss them in the trash at this point. Ebay is a bit of a bust at this point, since everyone has finally jumped on the DVD bandwagon, and I don't think that any of the used cd/dvd stores that I can think of will take em. I'm sure there are others here in the same situation-have you had any luck in finding a new home for your old tapes?

2. Paul.Little

Paul.Little Stunt Coordinator

Garage sale

3. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

yeah, I'm thinking of selling all of my Disney VHS at a garage sale, or on ebay. Maybe a pawn shop, but I won't get much that way.

4. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

I had about 50 Disney VHS tapes that I donated to a local single mom's group. They now have a free lending library!
    Consider giving them to the Salvation Army or Children's Hospital.

5. Matt Shiv

Matt Shiv Agent

If you have any OOP vhs titles or even just titles that haven't popped up on dvd yet, you'd be surprised what you might still get for them on ebay.

When I was cleaning out my collection I did place a few titles up through Amazon's seller program. I figured that if people were on there looking for videos anyway, they might settle for a used copy. Didn't try many there, but did sell a few.

I don't know if the shipping costs would negate the trade since I notice you are in Canada, but it couldn't hurt to check out www.secondspin.com.

Basically, you fill your cart with the titles that you want to sell to them. It will tell you how much they offer. Your tapes have to be in mint condition (no prior rentals or markings on the boxes/tapes) and you have to pay to ship to them. You would have to decide of the amount they offer is worth the hassle. After they check-in your titles, they mail you a check.

I use their site quite often as an alternative to local used stores.

6. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Retirement home?

Glenn

7. LisaDoris

LisaDoris Stunt Coordinator

I donated most of mine to the local library. They usually don't turn donations down. Garage sales are good as well if you want to make a couple bucks.

8. Howard Glenn

Howard Glenn Stunt Coordinator

I sold the bulk of my collection to secondspin and never looked back. I was very happy dealing with them on several occasions.

H

9. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

I gave most of my collection away to a co-worker who is too cheap to buy a DVD player. His loss = my gain! [​IMG]

10. DanHaya

DanHaya Second Unit

I've been putting mine up on eBay as I get the DVD versions, and have had pretty decent luck selling most of them. The trick is to post a low starting bid price ($.99-1.50) to get people to bid...then hope that you get over $5.00. Also, make the buyer pay the shipping costs.

You're not gonna get more than $5-10 for a used VHS movie (unless it's OOP or a collectible title), so my advice is to take whatever you can get and get rid of them.