Getting rid of my home theater :(

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by freddyStar, Sep 24, 2005.

1. freddyStar

freddyStar Auditioning

I love my current home theater, from my panny plasma tv to my wireless media player but I've had to put it all up for auction on a single ebay auction because of huge debts[​IMG]

As I wont have any electronics whatsoever when the auctions over and I wont havemuch money after paying my debts what is the best 'cheap' equipment at the moment to get me back on my feet?

Thanks

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Define cheap? And where do you live?

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Freddy,

I assume you're keeping your computer. A DVD-ROM drive costs less than $50 these days. You can find used 20" monitors on Craig's List in the $100 range. That's too small for normal TV viewing distance, but at regular desktop computer distance, the picture will be very satisfying. And the ability to upscale everything to 1280x1024 (or 1280x720 for widescreen material) sure is tasty. Run a cable from the line-out on your soundcard to the line-in on your stereo and bingo! You will not have surround sound, but you will have quality stereo sound.

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Sorry to hear about the bad luck.
    I bought an all in 1 HT including speakers for $49 that's better than I ever expected. The cheap stuff that once was garbage is pretty good today and listenable
    Good Luck & Better Times
    Grant

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Computer: Dell 2400 (maybe $300)

HT: RadioShack Cinego projector/DVD player/stereo ($1200)

These days I wouldn't even replace my TV if it stopped working... so much crap and anything good will be out on DVD with no commercials in 6 months anyway.

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

My first question would be: "Did these items contribute to the huge debt in the first place?"

My second question would be: "Are you planning to pay cash for the new equipment you're wanting?"

I love my HT equipment. It's modest, especially by HTF standards. But I don't care. It works for me. Having plasma tv's and uber-scan, 5-disc, makes-you-coffee-and-rubs-your-feet DVD players would be nice, but I like food. And it's nice that we can afford clean diapers for our daughter. I think before a person makes any purchase, they should save an amount equal to 3 months of bills. After you set that aside, then start saving up to buy the things you want with cash. It's amazing how many things you end up not wanting as bad when you let time pass.