Getting Rid Of Back Hair...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew_Sch, May 16, 2004.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

It's often been said that I'm always wearing two shirts, if you catch my drift (meaning, I've got a lot of hair). I don't have a problem with my chest hair, but the back hair is a little unsightly, and I'd like it to be gone when I head to Ocean City in a few weeks for Senior Week. What's the best way to do it? I'm NOT getting it waxed, so it's basically between shaving and NAIR. Advice?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Get it professionally waxed. Unless you have someone with you willing to shave you or can get creative with getting Nair back there while you are on the trip, you will have horrible stubble in a day that might just look worse. And will feel horrible to anyone touching you - if that is in the plans.

Nair tends not to work too well IMO - at least not for my wife.

Good luck.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

NAIR works fine for me. No stubble for several days.

Unfortunatley you smell like a dead cactus, and being hairless feels real weird ('cause nair also removes the minute invisible hairs by the millions)

4. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Be careful with the Nair. I tried it once and I had a reaction to it. I was full of small puss bumps and needed antibiotics. I only had a couple of small areas but I hate them. I tried proffesional waxing. Hurt like hell and actually bled a little. She said it would get easier with time. Whatever. I just have my wife shave it once a week.

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

What about NADS, that Australian stuff that's supposed to be specially formulated for men. Anyone ever tried that?

6. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

NADS!!??!!! Are you sure it's for BACK hair? [​IMG]

You know, this is kind of, well at least a little bit interesting. When & why did "man hair" start going out of style?

7. CalvinCarr

Back hair has always been considered nasty in the U.S. .

8. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Just bite the bullet and get waxed. A few seconds of pain and that's it.

Jeff

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Waxed is the best, but some places do it better than others. The best way is to do large sections at once instead of those little strips or patches with the paper.

10. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

I tried Nair last year and still have an irritation just behind my shoulders which really pisses me off since I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and cannot even wear tanktops. I have never heard of NAD's though I would love to find something that actually works without affecting your skin in an irritating way.

What about laser removal?

11. CalvinCarr

I was the same way with the Nair. The guys at the gym looked at me like I was doing some drugs when I wore a tank. Laser is very expensive but works well.

12. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Not true at all. The obsession with back hair and to a lesser extent chest hair is a direct result of the marketing trends in the advertising world.

The best long term solution is of course laser removal. I hear it is expensive and sometimes takes several procedures but it is permanent.

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Which means you're in trouble if back hair becomes stylish or you get involved with a woman who finds it sexy (such as my previous girlfriends or my fiance).

14. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

One hairy guy that lived here in the DC area got on a radio station morning show and offered for them to remove ALL his back hair with duct tape for a couple of tickets to a concert. They did it live on the air. I've never heard a grown man scream like that in my life. [​IMG]

Jeff

15. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Lose my back hair ? NEVER !!!

That's where my scalp hair decided to move [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Get it waxed, definitely.

Nair is very abbrasive and not all skin types can tolerate it. Mine burns my skin, leaving it red and blistered, and doesn't even remove the hair! NADs isn't that good either, but it might work if you have fine hair. Most of these types of hair removers have a real hard time with dark, coarse hair.

Laser is expensive but works well. But it can take up to a year to get it all removed, so it's not ideal for just a special occasion. Also, there are different types of lasers with different requirements. Some require no waxing/plucking for a few weeks before each procedure, while others will work anyway. So if this is the route you decide to go, check beforehand what they want you to do (or not do).

Aside from that, I'd get it waxed. It's really not so bad, I don't think. I've gotten waxed several times and while there is some pain and redness initially, the results are much better.

17. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Leila, you have back hair? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just shave it. It's hard to do (if you're not a contortionist), but with a little effort, you can pull it off with a long handled electric razor.

Much cooler when I do it too [​IMG]

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

a coworker of mine had the front of his neck lasered. I think the initial treatment was 400 bucks, then it decreased by half for each followup visit, down to $50 and stayed there, he went back a bunch of time. I can't imagine how much a whole back would cost.

19. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Haha Mark! Not on my back, thank goodness! But I've tried all these methods on my legs and when shaving isn't practical, waxing is the next best thing. Well, depending on the area waxing could very well be the best thing.

20. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I've only noticed it being an issue since the mid-90s when prepubescent looking singers and actors became popular. I believe women encountered a similar phenomenon back in the 1930s (IIRC) when body hair became undesirable (due to an add campaign).

Andrew, enjoy senior week and try not to get arrested (Ocean City cops go after every minor infraction during this time).