Getting ready to build my final sub(hopefully)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom-K, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Tom-K

Tom-K Stunt Coordinator

My hometheater is getting close to being finished, and I am gearing up to build my final subwoofer. A while back, I posted a thread asking for help, and this is what I got. I am planning on building a coffee table sub, with 4 tempest drivers that I bought back in the preorder stage. I am going to build the table to house two sets of clamshell type iso setups (downward firing). I am looking for a Q of around .577. DanW wrote that if I have a net 220 litres, with (2) 4" flared ports 34 centimeters long, I would acheive a nice, low tuned sub. However, I just wanted to check things about before I started cutting, and put this info into the software available on adire's site, and came up with a -3db at 35 hz? Obviously, I'm doing something wrong? Any help would greatly be appreciated, should I just build with what he said, and hope my results are good? Thanks in advance.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I got a tune of 23Hz for 2 ports 4" wide and 34cm long in a 220 liter box.

If you wanted to go lower, add roughly 4cm to 4.5cm for each 1Hz lower you want to tune.

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

FINAL??! FINAL?? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Final is not a word in the D-I-Yers' vocabulary. There is no end to it.[​IMG]

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Well Hank, what's YOUR next sub going to be?[​IMG]
    Brian

5. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Hope this doesn't gross out the bassheads here, what with their beyond-the-Tempest fantasies, BUT, I just completed my design for a Bose-Buster subwoofer based on a Dayton 8" driver and a 100-watt plate amp (MCM sale price @ $60.00). Yes, I said 8" and I hang my head in shame here, but remember the goal: Bose-Buster. Doesn't take much to bust 'em. I hooked it up during The Patriot and by golly, it sounds very good. I'll try to find someone who has a Bose sub for a side-by-side comparison (I must proudly say that my family/friends don't own Bose [​IMG]).
    Next comes some experimental cubes with small full-range drivers - I'm off to the laboratory. "Come, Igor! We have work to do!"
    Who you gonna call?
    Bose-Busters!

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer