Getting ready for FP purchase..some questions for the experts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MannyE, Jan 4, 2003.

1. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    I've got about 3K (+-300) to spend on just the projector.

What DLP should I look at?

Is there a CRT in used realm that may have similar features?

Here are the basics of what I would like to have for the money...you guys tell me if I am dreaming or not.

With the size of my room, I don't think I'll want to go more than 70 inches.

The screen will be 16:9 since this will be 90% for DVD movie viewing, with the rest TV viewing (Football and the occasional hockey game), and video game playing (How could you not?) Although video games will be a rare occasion, there will be some once or twice a year.

The ability to grow with me if I move and find I can now have a 100 inch screen, it would be nice if it could handle it.

HDTV capable...I've already got a nice big Radio Shack antenna just like the one dad used to have on my roof.

I think that's about it. I don't know if I'm asking for too much from something with a modest price (in relative terms) but there it is.

What models out there do you guys recommend? I'm not averse to used also, but I do not think I can handle the demands of a CRT system.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    There are various candidates in this price bracket. Ones that come to mind, as well as used CRT, are....
    - Infocus X1
    - Sharp Z1
    - Sony HS10
    - Sharp X90U
    - Plus Piano HE3200
    - Sanyo PLVZ1
    For starters, look for some specs/reviews here ...
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/home.cfm and check the "find projectors" tab.

3. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    An excellent site! Thank you! I have a lot of reading ahead of me. I've already been tempted by the InFocus X1!
    Sounds like a bargain!

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

One more to look at, the Dell 3200MP:

XGA (1024x768) native DLP
    3.5lbs
    1800:1 on/off contrast
    1300 ANSI lumens

Less than $2k shipped with the coupon from HomeTheaterForum.

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

7. Norm Lalonde

Norm Lalonde Stunt Coordinator

For me, I've decided to go for the Sony HS10, even though it's way overpriced here in Canada compared to the US. Not much I can do about it except to deal it down as much as possible.

Norm

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Norm, I saw the HS10 at a high end store in Toronto/Brampton for almost 6. How much did you get it for if you don't mind me probing?

9. Norm Lalonde

Neil, I haven't bought it yet, but the lowest price I can find right now is $5400. Canadian $ of course. But, I just found out today that a store in Scarborough is selling it for $4999. I haven't confirmed it yet, but I think I'll drop by there tomorrow and check it out.

The store is G&G Electronics. And they have it in stock now.

Norm

10. Norm Lalonde

Picked up the Sony HS10 at G&G Electronics on Tuesday for $4800 + taxes. I was surprised on how low they got.
    Unfortunately, I got the last one they had in stock, and I didn't think about asking when thy might have more coming in.
    E-Mail them through their website: www.ggelectronics.com
    Happy hunting...
    Norm

11. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    From what I have been able to find out, the HS10 is out of production since August 2002.

There is a new (expensive) model, the HS12 is what I think the model number is.

On the other hand, I've seen some very good prices for the HS10 lately online...the catch is that the sites I have seen with these low prices list it as "out of stock".

It's pretty safe to list a great price on an item that you'll never get again...could be a bait and swtich scheme.

12. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Manny,
    Here's a link to my review of the Piano HE-3200. It's a great little unit for the money.
    However, be warned that whereas it does accept a high-def signal, it can't output high-def resolution. It will downconvert it to it's own resolution of WSVGA. If you're getting into the FPTV thing with images of HDTV dancing in your head, this may not be the projector for you. If, however, you're looking for a reasonably-priced projector that you'll use primarily for DVD viewing, then I highly recommend you audition this unit.
    Whatever you end up choosing, good luck and enjoy!

13. Norm Lalonde

Manny, I believe the HS10 has only been in production for a few months. It's only been available in Canada since Jan 1st of this year.

The other projector your talking about is probably the 12HT, which is an excellent projector, but very expensive.

I decided to go with the HS10 because it'll do better HD than the Sharp Z90, which was the other projector I had been looking at.

Norm

14. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    Norm...

It seems I was a little sleepy...as I am now as I wrote that 10HT is what I meant.

I've seen it for cheap online.

Is the 10HT a "better" projector than the HS-10 if I can still find one?

Why would I go with the HS10 instead of the 10HT? or vice-versa?

15. Norm Lalonde

Ah, yes, the 10HT probably hasn't been in production for some time now. I don't know which one is better, but the 10HT was a good projector as well.

The biggest reason I can find to go for the HS10 instead of the 10HT is that it has the newer technology. Aside from that I have to admit I don't know the differences between the two very well.

But for $2500US or so, I don't know how you can go wrong with the HS10. But that's just my opinion.

Norm

16. MannyE

MannyE Stunt Coordinator

Manny Elgarresta
    Thanks Norm!
    I often choose new tech over old tech...with the exception of tube amps[​IMG]
    IF I can find a 10HT NIB, I would try and get the store to let me compare the two... (HS10/10HT)
    I'm hoping that whatever I end up getting will be able to handle anything I can throw at it as far as sources go... DVD,Game Consoles, Computers, etc.
    I will primarily be using it for DVDs (95%) but the Superbowl, the occasional video game session (twice or thrice a year) and occasional video presentations off the net or DVD ROM...(hence the computer display need)

17. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The HS10 is more comparable to the 11HT which I have, specification-wise. The HS10 will have better blacks. The 12Ht will be a step ahead due to the MLA feature (micro lens array).

18. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

The HS10 should definitely be an upgrade from the 10HT.

For a $3000 budget DLP, you should go for an XGA DLP like the Sharp M20X before you go down to the SVGA level of the Infocus X1.