Getting Ready For an Overhaul And Have a Question--UPDATED 11/13

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mike V, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Well,

The ole' theater is going to get an overhaul and upgrade this Fall. I plan to add sound treatment and fresh paint as well as include a new equipment rack.

My immediate question relates to ceiling paint. My ceiling is currently white plaster and I plan to paint it black. I am pretty sure I should use flat paint, however I know several of you have black ceilings and I would like to hear your recommendations on which brand paint, what finish and feedback on the actual painting process.

I will also post some pictures of the before and after as well as the process as it unfolds for you to see.

***Update***

The installation of the acoustic panels is done. I have also updated my site with some new pictures.

http://home.comcast.net/~myk249/wsb/index.html

I still have the equipment rack to contend with, and one more small trim piece on the far left panel. I will be re-calibrating the system tonight so after a couple of days of use I'll let you know what the difference adding the panels made.

2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I just used Glidden flat "black" on the screen wall and ceiling.

3. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Glenise.

Did you use primer or would you have? Or did you go right to the paint.

4. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

After thinking about some of the details I have another question.

My electrical outlets are currently white. The fabric on the walls is going to be black. What have you done to hide the outlets or at least make them match in your rooms?

5. BrentN

BrentN Extra

change/paint them?

6. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I used primer everywhere then painted.

7. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

BrentN,

Is it possible to get black outlets? If so that's great. Do you know any good sources? I didn't think they were readily available in black.

8. Steve Sha

Steve Sha Auditioning

I would think black is available. I would check Home Depot, Lowes or an electrical wholesaler. You could also paint them with a flat black spray paint. Unhook them first of course.

9. BrentN

BrentN Extra

At the local Ace Hardware/Electric and Lowe's, they have black outlets and plates. Go give lowe's or a local electrical place a look, you should be able to find what ya need. [​IMG]

10. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

11. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Why black? Everything I have read from light, color and film experts recommends that you paint your home theater (at least all the portions within your field of view while watching your screen) a true grey. True grey apparently allows your eyes see the most accurate colors on your screen. The same experts note that too many people paint their home theaters too dark. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

12. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

I personally chose black because I wanted the ceiling and front to dissapear. Also and most importantly I wanted the walls and ceiling to be reflection free. I will be upgrading to front projection in the next year or so and I thought this was a wise color choice.

13. Mike V

Mike V Stunt Coordinator

Bump for updates. See my original message...