What's new

Getting ready for 2006 Scary movie challenge (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I've still got 2 weeks until I start attempting to drain my adrenaline gland every night. Thats right, the 2006 Halloween Home Theater Forum Scary Movie Challenge is just around the corner. And this year I'm planning my movies in advance. Since I'm not retired or quitting my job for this, I probably won't be in the top 10 for most movies watched, but I will get all 31 movies in before midnight Halloween.

For 2006 I'm going to do something different, I'm only watch foreign horror movie. I haven't decided if I'm going to mix them, or have an all European horror movie month, or an all Asian horror movie month (Lord knows Netflix has 1000 J-Horror titles). I could go either way.

I'm already stockpiling my snacks: Vampire Wine, candy corn, bloody rare roast beef sandwiches, Dead Guy Ale, ..... Thats about all I can think of right now.

Anybody else looking forward to the bestest movie experience of the year? Anyone else got a theme going for 2006? (Vampire movies, werewolves, cabins-in-woods, only movies that have more than 3 sequels, etc?)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm always getting ready for the Scary Movie Challenge ;)

Like last year, it'll be a busy month at work...but I should be able to fit in a good amount.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Being at school all week kills me during this time of the year. I use to love being able to watch horror movies every night in October. It's also terrible that Halloween is on a Tuesday, which means no Halloween movies for me.

So, I guess my goal is to watch at least 4 or 5 movies every weekend. I generally do a theme every week of October (for example, one weekend might be zombie movies, another might be Friday the 13th). But I always watch three films every year, no matter what: Halloween (of course), Suspiria, and Black Christmas.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Wow, time goes fast! Here we are again already with the Halloween Challenge!

I like doing this, but I don't know if I'll be able to participate this time. I've pretty much decided that I'd like to save every October to watch the old '30s and '40s Universal classics (and some oldies by other studios too), and they're basically favorites I've already seen countless times before. I say this because part of the idea of this challenge is to try and watch some first-time films, isn't it? Also, we're supposed to comment on 'em and I would only be commenting on the same films every year! :)

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
As Matt is, so am I. Always ready for the Horror Movie Month. This is my favorite month of the year (even asked my wife to marry me on Halloween!) and it looks like I'm going to actually have time this year to get a whole lot of flicks in! I actually have almost the entire month without a single festival! I get back from LA on the 3rd!

Of course, I'll be at FantasticFest starting Friday and will be seeing a whole slate of horror flicks over that week - it's too bad they won't count.

It must be a good omen however that my own screening at LA Shriekfest is actually on Oct.1st! How about that? Must mean I'll do well this challenge. I think I topped out at just over the 31 marker last year.

Looking forward to it. Hope everyone has a blast as usual! I wonder who will get into the exclusive 100 films and over club?

Cheers,

Jason

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Its an honor-system based movie-watching endurance event. Some people can watch a movie a day for a month. Some people can watch a movie a day, then burn out after 10 days. Some hardcore sofa jockies can watch over 100 scary/horror films in the month of October. You don't win anything, and you do it for fun.

My halloween must-watch's (which won't towards my 31 "Euro-horror film" theme for 2006. Event Horizon, Nightmare Before Christmas, Dracula (Ford-Coppola, 1992), and Sleepy Hallow if I have the time.

Patrick Nevin

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot to participate last year so I am going to do it this year. I am already planning on when I will be watching them with my busy schedule and watching my favorite shows on TV. I can't wait!!!

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
It just occurred to me that I need to sign up for Netflix again ASAP! We get so busy during the summer I don't feel it is worth the money. Now that the Scary Movie challange is here I NEED Netflix. I managed 41 movies last year and I would love to top that!

I do have to admit that I wanted to watch ANY kind of movie other than a horror movie after October. I think I found I wasn't as hard core of a horror fan as I thought! Maybe watching only one genre of movie for a whole month would be difficult no matter what the genre!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to have to upgrade my 3-at-a-time Netflix account to 8-at-a-time. Especially since they've been throttling me and sending my returns across the country!

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Here we go! The best time of the year. Here will be my list starting this weekend hopefully: (no order, I don't think)

Prince of Darkness
Halloween
The Thing (Carpenter)
Severed (2005)
Return of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Hills have Eyes (remake)
Below
The Others
Stir of Echoes
Sleepy Hollow (depp)
Saw I II (and III in theater)
Dead Birds

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Oh hell yeah!! I didn't see this go up! I'm totally down. I came in 3rd last year, so you all better watch out! ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I was third and I think I was at about 63 or so. The first place was insanly high with an ungodly amount of 113 or some such.

I've been doing my own personal challenge this month watching crime/noir films and have been completly pathetic with it. I'm going to try to at least match my last years number, but I'll probably be lucky to watch 31.

I was hoping to kick my month off with the new "texas chainsaw", but I don't think I'm going to get in time(it's still in shipping from the states), so I think I'll do it with a Wes Craven night of "Last House On The Left" and the new "Nightmare on Elm Street" disc. I also plan to do the Hershal Gorden Lewis blood trilogy, numerouse direct to video stuff I found in bargin bins, and of course those Karloff, Chaney and warner horror sets that all have come out.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately financial reasons might keep me from watching many new movies this year, but my wife and I decided to watch the horror movies currently in our collection alphabetically. I was just thinking it would be a good goal to try and watch them all! I think we currently have over 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks