Getting Power to My Projector

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Martin Rendall, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of getting an HT set up in my finished loft. I should get the projector this week or next (IF 4805).

I've already decided that looks don't matter - it should be dark when watching movies, right? [​IMG]

I'm planning to just run the component and DVI cables along the outside of the wall (that is, not in-wall), and speaker cable along the floor by the wall.

My dilema is getting power to the projector. The nearest outlet is probably about 12 feet from the mount point. The projector comes with a 6 to 8 foot power cord.

What I'm looking for is a safe "in code" cheap solution. I would contemplate getting an electrician in to add a receptacle if that's the only right way to go. At that stage I might just end up getting the wiring fished through the walls too... but that's an expense I'd rather avoid now. Not say that I won't decide to do that at a future date.

Anyway, can anybody offer some ideas? Would an extension cord be OK attached to the outside of the wall (that is, not in the wall - I know enough to know not to do that!). Any better solutions?

Thanks!
    Martin.

2. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Martin,
    There's nothing technically wrong with a good-ol' extension cord. Try to use a beefy one (14-16ga) to minimize voltage drop. Use care when attaching it to the wall. Plastic mount pads (with sticky foam tape backing) and ty-wraps is probably the safest way.

Alternatively, You can use on-wall plastic conduit stuff from Home Depot for a cleaner installation.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What Dave said. There’s no reason to have a local outlet installed if the signal cables are draped across the ceiling anyway.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Martin Rendall

Dave and Wayne,

Thank you both very much for your help!

Regards,
    Martin.

5. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

While the inspectors might not see it, it's poor form to use 'orange extension cords' for permenant install work

That's why I always use purple extension cords. [​IMG]

Surface-mount 'conduit' will certainly 'dress' the installation quite nicely.

Leo Kerr

6. Martin Rendall