Getting online when you're not allowed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

So, at work the PCs have internet access but not for the web. You can type a URL in any window and it won't connect to anything. I heard the techie guys mentioning blocking port 80 or something like that. So, is there any way around that? The system I use is win2k and I can't log in as an admin or anything like that...

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Go to your public library at lunchtime.

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Offer a bribe to the network guy who runs the firewall?

There isn't anything you can do that would not violate the DMCA or get you in real hot water.

I suggest you read about the techniques Kevin Mitnick used to obtain unrestricted access to corporate computers. Computer security is all about the human element. [​IMG]

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Get a new job. Companies that do that are rediculous. I can't even begin to explain how useful the web is for research. No joke.

What kind of work do you do?

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I agree with Mike Alletto. I work in a private investigator's office, where the primary job function is to gather raw data and develop it into information. There are COUNTLESS legitimate uses for web research at my job.

7. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I'd be unemployed if it weren't for Google saving my ass on a number of occasions. Seriously, you need to tell your employer that their policy is affecting how you work. If they don't care, leave.

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Do you have broadband at home? Install a proxy server on your home PC on some odd high-numbered port (20000 for instance), then set your browser at work to connect to your proxy server at home. This will work, at least until you get caught. [​IMG]

You might also check anonymizer or one of the public proxy sites, to see if they allow connections on ports other than 80.

Still, blocking ALL web access doesn't make sense.

KJP

9. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Goodness. I use it all the time. There is so much info to be gathered out there for work - legit info, mind you - that not having that would seriously hamper quite a bit of what I do.

Sad they won't let you do that.

Mike

10. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

If youve got a brodband connection at home, set up a socks 5 proxy server w/username and password and access it from work. Or you could also just set up a proxy that works on socks port 1080 or so. Look up "proxy list" in Google and the first result is a great list. Thats what I do to get to those websites the school doesnt want people to be on.[​IMG]

L8rz,
    Deepak Jr.

11. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Its so much easier to search google groups or certain web pages about programming stuff than it is to flip through a book when you can't remember something. And researching new tools is easier going to the companies websites than actually calling them and having to deal with annoying sales folks.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i assume your job must not be that important to you?

if they're blocking internet access, there's a reason for it...regardless of whether the reason makes sense or not, that's their policy and you'd be blatantly breaking it.

bypassing it is just asking for trouble.

my .02

13. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
    I'm building a rather sophisticated Java applet at this time. I NEED my access to Sun's Java Web site! Yet, the one who accesses the Internet the most has to be my boss, the president of the company. He always has half a dozen Web pages up on his screen! And yes, he Googles A LOT! [​IMG]

I work in a small office and we have a rather simple set-up. Four machines at work are equipped with a second Ethernet card connected to a 4 port Linksys cable/DSL firewall router. The router's network is set to a different subnet address than the office network's subnet so that both networks don't see each other. For added security, the Internet machines also have ZoneAlarm installed on them (stops zombie programs from phoning home) along with antivirus software which upgrades itself and scans for viruses every single night.

If anyone in the office needs access to the Web, I run the AnalogX Proxyi application on my machine and leave it running for as long as they need it (the browsers are set to run off the proxy server on my computer). Under no circumstances is Proxyi ever left running overnight, and only port 80 is left open in the application, allowing me to control access to the Internet at all times and minimize the risks of any break-ins from the outside. And yes, everything is updated with the latest patches including the router.

Tim, you should ask the IT department if you can get full Internet access in the first place. If you can't get it, ask them why. At the very least they should be able to explain why you're being prevented from doing your job a little better. When used properly, the Web is a highly productive tool.