Getting on the TIME TUNNEL fast track

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Harry-N, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    I'd like some advice from forum members on how I can get the new DVD set of TIME TUNNEL (Vol. 1), to be released 1/24/06, the fastest way possible.

You see, I've been waiting patiently (and impatiently) for nearly 40 years for this chance to own this old favorite of mine, and the day is fast approaching.

Normally, I'd go out to all of the local brick and mortar stores on release day until I found one that had what I wanted. My fear here is the "unknown" quotient of a somewhat obscure old TV series, and how that'll translate on release day.

In my world view, there'd be a huge banner and display at all Best Buy and Circuit City stores with giant letters: TIME TUNNEL IS HERE, NOW!

Realistically, of course, I know that isn't going to happen. Instead, I'd walk into a Best Buy on Tuesday, 1/24/06, see nothing but the usual, have to hunt down a blue shirt and tell him/her what I'm looking for, have them go search the racks I just looked in and then in the back, have them punch in some stuff on the computer - "What was that title again? Something Tunnel?" - and having them tell me that they haven't gotten their shipment yet and to check back at a future date.

So, OK, TIME TUNNEL isn't the DVD release of the century to everyone, but it is to me. So what I'd like is for ideas on how I can ensure that at least on release day, I'll have this thing I've waited for, in my hands and ready to play.

Are there online sites that *reliably* ship early? Should I place a pre-order at a favored brick & mortar? What would you do?

Thanks for any replies.

Harry

2. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Hello from another TT fanatic [​IMG] This is based on my experience with Amazon, but it's hard to beat their shipping time and serice. I always order my DVD's from them and always select the "super-saver" (no charge) shipping option. Normally, it's supposed to take a longer to get to the destination with this method (vs priority/overnight, etc), but I nearly always get my DVD's on the Wed ot Thu after the Tue release date. The other reason I use Amazon is their exchange policy (for the "scuffed disks during shipment phenomenon") is hard to beat. I've returned a couple of TV/DVD sets for exchange long after the 30-day time period expired and never had a problem with Amazon refusing exchange.

"The long wait is nearly over". There's light at the end of the "tunnel" [​IMG]

"General, transport me back to '66 on Friday evening" [​IMG]

How about a "killer" Jan/Feb for TV/DVD releases! "TT", "Voyage to the Bottom Of The Sea", "Rat Patrol". And, for those of us that collect a little of the 80's/90's stuff, "Lois and Clark S2", "Hill St. Blues", "A-Team S3".

Yeassssss [​IMG]

Merry Christmas to all of you HTF'ers out there, and a special "Thanks" to Gord & Dave L for their super-[​IMG] TSoD site.

3. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Jeff,

You forgot "Adventures of Superman" S2 and "Have Gun--Will Travel" S3 for Jan. releases. 2006 is already shaping up to be the best year yet for classic tv on dvd.

4. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    This is one release where I won't be satisfied with a "day or two" later than release day.

It will be sheer agony for me to be reading reviews of TIME TUNNEL on the Web from people who probably could care less, while I count the hours. There's always someone somewhere who manages to get it "first".

I really want to know if there is any way of assuring either an early release in my hands, or at least a reliable source for obtaining it on the day/date of release for sure.

Harry

5. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

My vote goes to Deep Discount DVD. I've had nothing but impeccable service and fast shipping. Oftentimes they have the item available a couple of days prior to official release date.

6. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Harry_N: Can't help you with this one...good luck getting it early or same-day from online. "And to think I thought I was THE original Time Tunnel fanatic" [​IMG]

Michael: I used to use DeepDiscount most of the time but their return setup isn't as good as Amazon's. Also I had some minor glitches with their Customer Relations Dept and there were some problems with their 'net site. I did notice that they cleard up the 'net site issues and e-mail notification problems within the last few months but I had already switched to Amazon for nearly all of my DVD buys. DD is still a good online outlet for sure. One thing that I have noticed is that DD's prices are usually among the best for releases that aren't current. I've noticed that, in most cases, Amazon's prices are usually lower for new releases/pre-orders which surprised me. Not every case, but most of the time.

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

DVD Empire. My orders from them arrive the Monday before usually.

8. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Jeff Willis:

Thanks for the info. Seems that I do recall Amazon's customer relations being better than Deep Discount, after all, where a return for "Kung Fu" set to DD was concerned.

9. Bill>Moore

Bill>Moore Second Unit

I've generally had good success picking up titles like this at most Best Buys. I was able to find things like Baa, Baa Black Sheep, Wonder Woman, V: The Series, and others on release day at BB. When Lost In Space came out, there were several sets available on the shelves.

10. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Harry-N, as always, my advice is to support your forum sponsors. I've been buying from The Laser's Edge for years and they always get new releases to me "on time" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean), even shipping from Indiana to California. Let's just say, the closer you are to Indiana, the happier you'll be. [​IMG]

My TT box set is already on pre-order.

Rob

11. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Rob, I've taken your advice and ordered THE TIME TUNNEL Volume 1 from The Laser's Edge.

I'm hoping for an on-time delivery.

Harry
    ...27 days to TIME TUNNEL on DVD...

12. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Update:

I've heard from The Laser's Edge that my TIME TUNNEL shipment may indeed be "on time."

Thanks everyone - and Rob Willey in particular. I think it's going to work out well.

Harry

13. JeffO

JeffO Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys, I'm a new member and my first post here.

While I'm too young to have seen this show when it was on in its first run, and have never seen it in reruns, it sounds interesting from your descriptions.

What I really like is your enthusiasm for your favorite shows. When I found out from tvshowsondvd that my favorite, Magnum PI, was coming out with the first season, I was just as happy as you are now. Then it was a wait to see if enough copies had sold to warrant the second season. Now that I know that seasons 3 and 4 are coming out later this month and in April, I can feel pretty secure that I will get all eight seasons of Magnum.

I'm hoping that you guys are happy with your copies and that somehow the studio doesn't butcher the transfer or cut the content, because I know how I would feel if I'd gotten cut episodes.

JeffO

14. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Welcome JeffO. This is a great place to get and exchange information on all things Home Theater.

And you're just what we need - another TIME TUNNEL fan named 'Jeff'!

Harry
    ...who should have been named Jeff, online...

15. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I got my shipping notice this afternoon. I hope to have these discs spinning in my player by Fri. or Sat. [​IMG]

Rob

16. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Bah! Bring me "Voyagers" any day!

17. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

This was a very interesting series. I used to catch reruns of this on Spike TV a few years ago.

18. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.

Though I don't have cable, I am in touch with other TIME TUNNEL fans and I haven't heard about the show running on SPIKE-TV. My suspicion is that it was the ENCORE ACTION CHANNEL that you saw it on, as that's where it's been running over the last few years here in the States. With so many channels out there, a bit of confusion is understandable.

My goal is to get this series airing on the Harry Network, and real soon!

Harry
    ...four days til Sen. Clark inspects Project Tic-Toc...

19. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Quantum Leap, baby, yeah!!!

20. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.

Well, at least TIME TUNNEL probably won't have any altered music!

Harry