1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting New widescreen, whats the best ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Kishbaugh, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Steven Kishbaugh

Steven Kishbaugh Auditioning

I'm about to buy an entire system. I need to know what to look for? Some salesmen say get a TV with HDTV built in and your ready for the future, while others say get HD ready so you can upgrade your HD tuner as advances come along. Which is the correct path?
    I found a 61 inch RCA with built in HD and Dish Decoder, It was going for $3200, But I like the Mitsubishi sets a lot even though I would have to buy the HD converter separately.
    What Should I look for to get absolutely the best system on the market for $4000 or less??
    And what's a really good surround sound system?

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

You have asked a lot of questions that do not have a simple answer, especially relating to the surround sound system. It's almost like asking, "Which car should I get?" There are so many variables (what's your budget, what are you looking to accomplish, etc. etc.) that there is no one correct answer. In fact, there are whole sections on this forum devoted to the type of questions you are asking.
    However, I will offer one piece of advice regarding an HDTV "ready" set. The HDTV market is in such a state of flux right now that I would be very wary of purchasing any monitor with the HD converter, etc. built-in. If the standard changes or technology advances, you are stuck with what you purchased. A much better solution, and one which you are considering, is to keep all the HD related hardware (tuner, converter, dish components, etc.) outside of the monitor and concentrate on getting an HDTV compatible monitor that suits your needs, tastes and budget.
    Just make sure that you get a true HDTV capable monitor (salespeople are notorious for misinformation on this score!!) and ask a lot of questions from the knowledgeable people here. I own a Front Projector (Sony VW10Ht) with is fully HDTV capable, so I'm not up to date on the latest and greatest HDTV RPM's (although I would add "Pioneer" to your possible choices). I'm sure there are members here who can steer you in the right direction.
    When you settle on a particular brand and model no. ask here, to make sure it is a true HDTV-capable set.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

3. Steven Kishbaugh

Steven Kishbaugh Auditioning

Thanks, I'm heading out to look tonight. I do like the Pioneer, and I will let you know what I decide to get. The Sony with DRC also looks promising.

4. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

I own a Toshiba 56H80 2000 model and they have a complete new line up this year with a 50 inch model and up.Toshiba is good value for the money with a good picture and sound. Certainly If I had the money my first choice would be Pioneer Elite which is significantly more expensive in Canada.
    Mitshubishi gets many good comments from members. I believe RCA is new to the HD market,personally I never cared for RCA because I thought they were a low end product compared to other sets,however their Proscan model is the higher end on RCA.
    A good test for any of these TV is how they reproduce a standard NTSC signal,a large portion of your viewing will still me in this format.The stores ususally demonstrate them in HD or DVD,ask to see a cable picture on the set.
    The availabilty of HD progamming is getting better with ABC recent announcement of an increase in HD programming. Here in Canada I get my HD programming via sattelite. From reading this forum I do not beleive that many cable systems in the USA thatbroadcast HD signal. However I believe Time Warner is a leader in the larger cities.
    There appear to many horror stories of members attempting to get OTA(antennae) signals from stations.
    It appears that sattelitte is the prefferd method and many mebers comment about the dish network as being more adavanced the directv.
    Yes I agree keep the stb with the TV there are potential changes and the set top box for Dish 6000 just received a recent change which was done electronically by broadcasting a signal.
    Buying a set is always a diffult decision,because there are so many diverse oipinions from excellent to horror stories. The standard is 16 by 9 with dolby digital sound. Most sets only offer dolby surround and you have to connect to a DD sound system which is the better way to go so you can enjoy your home theatre.
    Get the facts,check out the web sites of the major manufacturs and make an informed decision...... good shopping

5. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Please excuse the spelling errors in the last message. The spell check on the site crashed.
    There is a definite need to get a new server for the forum. You mentioned the Sony set with DRC. I find the Sony sets to be overpriced and for some reason their HD pictures appears to be very soft with a lack of definition to it.
    Again this is in the eye of the beholder.

6. Pieter_L

Pieter_L Guest

steven,
    i do not know your exact requirements & situation, but i would STRONGLY suggest that you investigate FPTV (front projectors) before making your final purchase.
    instead of a box the size of a refrigerator in your house, you get a tiny unit you can pick up w/ one hand, and it gives you a MUCH larger (80" - 120") size screen. it's also the only way to get the true engaging "movie experience" at home.
    the main drawback is light control - it works best in subdued ligth.
    also, look at RAF's hometheater (the link is on his post) to see what is possible. and, no, you do not have to build a new room - mine it sitting discreetly in my living room, with a screen that comes down from the ceiling.
    ------------------

7. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

"I really need to move my old refrigerator out of my living room one of these days"
    bodymov'n [​IMG]
    ------------------