1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting New Mac Need Help Deciding

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelley_B, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well the time has come to get a new Mac. I don't have a lot of cash and I don't want to ability to burn DVDs so I don't need a SuperDrive and I don't watch DVDs on my PC, so no need for a DVD drive, but I will need to burn CDs. Here are the two Macs that I have narrowed it down to:

iMac:

700Mhz G4

256MB RAM

32MB GeFORCE2 MX

40GB Ultra ATA

10/100 Ethernet

DVD+CD-RW Combo Drive(i know i don't care for the DVD)

Apple Pro Speakers

$1,449

or

PowerMac G4

800Mhz G4

256MB RAM(and I have about 512MBs of PC133 lying around)

Radeon 7500

40GB Ultra ATA

10/100/1000 Ethernet

CD-RW

$1,503

2. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Geez, I'm jealous! It would really depend on what you are going to use it for. If it's for casual use, the iMac fits the bill. But it is limiting in terms of expandability. The Power Mac has 1 AGP slot and 4 PCI slots. Also, with the iMac, you're stuck with a 15 inch screen. They are both great, but my inclination would be to go with the Power Mac.

3. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I would say to go with the G4. You will have a much more upgradable machine than the iMac. The only downside is that the price of a monitor is not included with the G4 so you need to consider that unless you already have a suitable monitor.
    Buy the G4 and install your extra RAM and I think you will be happy. You can add a DVD player or DVD burner at a later date if you ever decide that you want one. The prises will only get cheaper. [​IMG]
    Good luck,
    Glenn

4. Barton Lynch

Barton Lynch Stunt Coordinator

Barton Lynch
    Oh Kelley, you are from Tulsa! That's my birth town, left since I was 10, haven't been there in 15 years. The city must have change a lot [​IMG]
    Well, you are a Mac user too (or will be) that's two things in common lets date! [​IMG] Pamela and Glenn already nailed it. The choice is the Power Mac G4 800. Far more expandable for the future, the AGP slot and the easy access to the machines interiors stomps all over the iMac. I know the iMac has a cool factor, buy believe me, after a year when you need a new video card, add another drive o simply add more RAM (you should do that right away) the coolness of the iMac's lack of upgradeability will fade away.
    Go for it, good luck

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Well I have a good FD Trinitron monitor, plus I just found out that I can get a 733Mhz G4 for only $1200 from Apple. The specs are the same as the 800 it just runs at 733 and cost $300 less.

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

After comparing the multiple machines I think I am just going to go ahead and get the 733Mhz G4 for $1200. And then throw my RAM in there and boom, I will have a little screamer. I wish I had more time to save up and get a dual 1Ghz, but my father has taken back the PC that I was using(its a long story) and my cable modem is getting lonely.

7. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Don't be too bummed about not getting the dual processor machine. The dual processor is nice, but doesn't speed up the machine with many applications. Adobe PhotoShop is one of the few applications to take advantage of them and Apple says that it won't make much of a difference in PhotoShop unless the files are larger that 10 MB. OS X does have more support for dual processors than OS 9, by dividing tasks over the two processors, but I don't know if it's worth the extra dough. If you're going to run OS 9, they're pretty useless.

I think the machine you picked out will be pretty awesome!

8. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

BTW - I will be using OS X.1 - The Power of Unix, The Simplicity of Macintosh.

9. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

10. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I agree with Pamela. There aren't enough applications out there right now that are optimized for dual processor use. I think you'll be quite satisfied with your 733.

11. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

actually pamela i plan to hack the shit out of the unix underpinnings of the OS, I work on Unix boxes all day long, and this is a way that both me and my fiance can have one computer that we both can use....I'm sure I will have to reinitialize the HD a few times due to breaking something in the Unix underpinnings, but thats where all the fun is at[​IMG]