Getting new DVD player ...need suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff*K, May 15, 2005.

1. Jeff*K

Jeff*K Agent

Hi all, I'm getting a new DVD player for my new 27" widescreen hdtv...

I'm not willing to spend awhole lot but want the best quality possible for my buck. I'd really like to check out HDMI since I know it's got all this hype for HDTVs. I was thinking of the Toshiba SD-5980? I'm also planning on buying a home theater system so I want the best compatible DVD player for that and will be playing alot of burned DVDs (DVD-R) on it. Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance.

edit: I would like to know how much of a difference HDMI DVD players make... or is it all just hype? Will a progressive scan DVD player give me top notch quality for my buck?

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jeff, I would just get a cheap pro. scan model. Any DVD player would look great on a screen that small.

3. Jeff*K

Jeff*K Agent

I hope my screen isn't that small for movie viewing...

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    It depends on how far away you sit from the screen.

5. Marc Doggett

Marc Doggett Agent

Jeff,

If your HDTV has a DVI input, then go and buy an Oppo 971H.

It will cost you around $210 shipped, and it recently scored better than almost ALL other DVD players regardless of price, in the "Secrets" DVD shootout.

I have one and use it at the 1080i upconverted DVD setting and it easily compares to my old Onkyo SP1000 and current Denon 3910 for PQ.

If you need more info on it, please let me know.

6. Jeff*K

Jeff*K Agent

Well it's my bedroom and my bed and couch are about 4 feet away and I'm about to hook up a 5.1-Ch. 800W Home Theatre in the bedroom. As for the DVD player, I'm not willing to spend that much unless it was for my big screen which is already hooked up with a pretty good dvd player. I've seen the customer reviews for this progressive scan and everyone seems to think that its pretty darn awesome http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hitac...oductDetail.do need feedback